The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 AM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tips for traveling with fly fishing gear

Most airports have a ups store in them, I always make plans and find all the infromation needed to ship my rods before flying anywhere as a backup plan just incase I run into any problems..
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Shipping is always a viable option but depending on where you're going it may be overkill in my opinion. I travel to Chicago from Pittsburgh with all of my gear without shipping it and have not once had a problem. This has been an annual pilgrimage the past 4 years, in fact my last experiences traveling to/from were within the past 3 weeks. I use a duffel to store my boots, waders, and flies, clothes and that bag gets checked. I keep my reels in a backpack and carry them on, they're tucked under the seat. Rods go in a nylon faced multi rod tube and are carried on, stored in overhead storage. These are all 4 piece rods in a 4 piece tube.

No issues on Southwest. Its worthwhile to check your carrier and even the size of your plane as some seem to have different rules than others and could be limited to space.

Some options for rod tubes:

If the quality of this is anything like the Maine Guide Reel cases, it should be excellent. You could put your two metal tubes inside this one.

Maine Guide Waxed-Canvas Four-Piece Rod Case: Rod Tubes and Reel Cases | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

A no frills option, just throw the rods in their socks in the tube. Similar to the one I use.
Kennebec Four-Piece 9' Multi-Rod Travel Case: Rod Tubes and Reel Cases | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Mine is a Fishpond tube, but this is the only one listed on their website, maybe the other has been discontinued and or in the process of being revamped.

fishpond - VOYAGER TRAVEL ROD TUBE BAG
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Stick the reels in your front pocket and walk through the airport with manly confidence. When TSA asks what's in your pants just tell them it's your Orvis.
Ask to be searched.
shotgunfly and runningfish like this.