The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Tips for traveling with fly fishing gear

I may be flying domestic in a month and want to take:

- wading pants and boots
- chest pack
- flies/terminal tackle
- 2 4 piece 9' rods
- 2 reels

I can check the waders/boots/pack/tackle but want to carry on the rods and reels.

Has anyone traveled lately and had issues with carrying on rods?
Any case you recommend that carries 2 rods or can I just carry on tubes?

Thanks!
C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tips for traveling with fly fishing gear

I go everywhere with at least one rod, sometimes two. I carry them in separate tubes and use Velcro straps to hold them together. Reels and flies are always carry on. Never had a problem. I'm in Singapore right now. Heading for a few hours of fishing at Diego Garcia before heading home thru Bahrain and Amsterdam tomorrow.

I use the plastic tubes from BPS. Not sure if they will allow aluminum.
shotgunfly and yonder like this.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have always checked my gear in rather than carrying it. But my some of my friends who traveled with me were able to take their rods on board the plane. We traveled on Alaska, United, Delta, American, and maybe a few more.

You could get a multiple rod tube or a double rod/reel holder. Ross and a few other brands make them.

Another option is to ship your gear through a competent shipper (UPS or Fed Ex). For the return trip, you could preprint a return label. Just make sure you plan ahead for shipping time, and you have someone who could send your gear back.

Dennis
jaybo41 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Thanks folks. I was thinking of shipping too. Did it think about the return label. Nor did I think aluminum might be an issue. I checked the airline flight restrictions...not very helpful. According to their info, a rod carrying case would be too long. Go figure.

I'm glad that some folks have flown recently with rods carried on without issue.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I travel with my gear several times a year and have never had any issues with either the TSA or the flight crew. I pack my waders + Boots + tools (scissors, forceps etc) in my checked suitcase. The fly boxes go in my backpack (carry on) and the 4 piece rods are all carried in one of the multi rod tubes also as carry on. I use the one from Fishpond. LL Bean also makes one at a great price.

FWIW, I fly Delta exclusively.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I normally check all of my luggage, but I have seen alot of fishermen carrying on their 4 piece rod tubes, especially in Denver. I have seen some that tape or velcro a few together. Just stay withing the 45? or 47? linear inch rule. I believe aluminum tubes may cause a concern with TSA, so I would stick to PVC.
shotgunfly likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

It's quite common in The States especially in Alaska to see people carrying Fishing Rods in Tubes one guy had 5 or 6 however it's a different story on International Flights as I had to pack mine in my Travel Bag which holds 4 piece Rods OK.
I was talking to Booking people in Denver Anchorage & a couple of other places they told me it was fine to carry them on.
Another tip make sure your Waders & Boots are clean also it's a good idea to Pack your Flies & Reels with your Waders & Boots as they will fit in your Boots.
Brian.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

The last time I had my rod with me was in an international flight to Bali, I had my 2 piece spinning 7FT and baitcasting rod 7FT in a rod holder with me all the time.

This next trip I already packed my 4 piece fly and spin rods, reels and gears into my checked in bag.

Things to consider for me are:
1. Numbers of transit. The more transit the higher the risk to have your baggage lost or stolen. This next trip is a direct flight so everything is in the bag.
2. Travelling with kids. I don't have to explain this.
3. Each airlines have different policies, it is better for me to put everything in the luggage, insure it and forget about it. I don't want to be told to go back and check in my rod when I am boarding.
4. Security, after Boston; it would be stricter. I had my marathon last weekend in Orange County, and I never saw that many soldiers on top of the roofs.

just my 2 cents.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:44 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

This is what you want. Filson Duffle. Gate check your rods.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Shotgunfly, my wife and I flew from Canada to Belize in March. I carried two 9-foot 4-piece rods in a homemade PVC rod tube (32" long, 4" diameter) as carry-on with a couple of fly reels in my carry-on bag--no problem on either WestJet or United. Fly boxes and all other tackle and gear went in my checked suitcase. There were an awful lot of guys (and gals) at the Int'l Airport in Belize City with 4-piece rod tubes, both plastic and aluminum, who carried them on with no problem. With the Canadian airlines, and United at least, so long as your rod tube(s) will fit in an overhead bin there's no problem. I think the luggage rules you referred to were likely talking about 2-piece rod cases. In Canada at least they won't allow you to take hooks/flies in your carry-on.

Scott