The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking 'I wonder how fast this new 'Hog' will go?

Medina man gets $1,103 speeding ticket in Oregon

Posted on May 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM

LAPINE, Ore. -- A Washington state man has a hefty speeding ticket to pay after getting clocked at 130 mph on his new motorcycle in central Oregon.

The 61-year-old of the wealthy Lake Washington enclave of Medina, east of Seattle, told the trooper who pulled him over Monday that he'd just purchased the Ducati bike and wanted to see what it could do.

The ticket for going 130 mph in a 55 mph zone is $1,103 -- that's the automatic fine for going more than 100 mph in Oregon.

Oregon State Police Lt. Steve Mitchell says the man could also have his license suspended.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'I wonder how fast this new 'Hog' will go?

Reminds me of when I first got my first Harley, I had to take it out on the freeway and see what it would do, 105 mph. It was fun doing it, but thinking back on it was kind of stupid, but we all do stupid things from time to time.

Reminds me of my Air Force days when I was flying the F-106 aircraft out of Tyndall AFB. In its day that aircraft had some serious horsepower, but nothing compared to what the modern fighters have. You could takeoff, get the gear up and then level off until you reached the end of the runway and then point the aircraft straight up and it would peg out the vertical velocity at 40,000 ft/min., boy was that a blast!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 'I wonder how fast this new 'Hog' will go?

"I feel the NEED FOR SPEED!" One of the great one liner's from a good movie.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
"I feel the NEED FOR SPEED!" One of the great one liner's from a good movie.
Yes indeed! It seems the younger you are the more urgent the need!

I use to like to fly around at low altitude doing like 650 knots until one time I was flying with the Jacksonville, FL ANG and saw what a five lb egret could do to the front windshield on an F-106. That glass had to be over an inch thick and that bird caved the windshield in pretty good and completely disinegrated the canopy, with a big chunk of plexiglass embedded into the headrest right beside the pilots helmet and the visor on his helmet blew completely off. After seeing that I had more respect for birds at low altitude. Nowdays the FAA has a 250 knot speed restriction below 10,000 ft.
fredaevans likes this.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:50 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Reminds me of when I first got my first Harley, I had to take it out on the freeway and see what it would do, 105 mph. It was fun doing it, but thinking back on it was kind of stupid, but we all do stupid things from time to time.

Reminds me of my Air Force days when I was flying the F-106 aircraft out of Tyndall AFB. In its day that aircraft had some serious horsepower, but nothing compared to what the modern fighters have. You could takeoff, get the gear up and then level off until you reached the end of the runway and then point the aircraft straight up and it would peg out the vertical velocity at 40,000 ft/min., boy was that a blast!
Reminds me of the old Air Force joke:

Q: How do you know there's a pilot at your party?

A: He'll tell you
Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Minnesota has you beat. I'll see your 130 and raise you 205.
USATODAY.com - Minnesota trooper writes 205 mph speeding ticket

I'm feeling it's increasingly hard to speed.
Quote:
After seeing that I had more respect for birds at low altitude.
My uncle was a Pan Am pilot. He was flying into someplace in S. America and had a condor go through the windshield. Apparently they do a better job of penetration than a cannon fired frozen chicken.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of driving home on 696 outside Detroit after a late shift in the hospital. After 9 or 10 traffic is light and we'd all be going 70 or 75 but at some point (especially on weekends) two or three very nice cars (almost always Audi, BMW, or Mercedes) would blow by us like we were going 35, racing I'm sure. Doubt they were going 205 but they had to be flying. Idiots. Always glad I wasn't trying to change lanes since there was very little warning at those speeds, especially at night.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

He was flying into someplace in S. America and had a condor go through the windshield. Apparently they do a better job of penetration than a cannon fired frozen chicken. [/QUOTE]

Had that happen to me but it was a deer and my brother's car windshield. Not fun.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post

I'm feeling it's increasingly hard to speed.

My uncle was a Pan Am pilot. He was flying into someplace in S. America and had a condor go through the windshield. Apparently they do a better job of penetration than a cannon fired frozen chicken.
I can imagine a bird the size of a condor would penetrate an aircraft windshield with little trouble. Funny you brought up the frozen chicken. One of my friends from college worked as an engineer for Lockheed for awhile and his job was to fire frozen chickens at test windshields to verify the integerity.

Did you ever hear of the kid on a rice rocket on the Chicago beltway in the wee hours of the morning. He was clocked by a patrolman with a speed gun, the kid was going so fast that the officer thought there had to be something wrong with the speed gun. The next day the officer did a visit to the local motorcycle shop (I don't remember the brand) to verify that bike would indeed go that fast. This was a few years ago, I never did hear what the law enforcement system did to that kid, but it probably cost him a lot of money and his drivers license.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Had to be a "Busa, but I'd still throw the bs flag at the VASCAR speed. Busa's try every year to do 200 at Bonneville, and most fail.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Yes indeed! It seems the younger you are the more urgent the need!

I use to like to fly around at low altitude doing like 650 knots until one time I was flying with the Jacksonville, FL ANG and saw what a five lb egret could do to the front windshield on an F-106. That glass had to be over an inch thick and that bird caved the windshield in pretty good and completely disinegrated the canopy, with a big chunk of plexiglass embedded into the headrest right beside the pilots helmet and the visor on his helmet blew completely off. After seeing that I had more respect for birds at low altitude. Nowdays the FAA has a 250 knot speed restriction below 10,000 ft.
No idea if this is really true, but I liked the story anyway.

Brit's are building some jet EnGine and ask Boeing how to you 'test' these for bird strikes. Boeing comes back and we fire same up, and shoot full chickens at same.

Message comes back that their ripping the turbine blades to bits.

Message back: 'Don't use frozen chickens.'

Again no idea if the above is true, but loved the story.
fae

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Hear you about the deer; place is over run with them up in the hills. Or for that matter in down town Ashland to the south. Speed limit is 15 mph for a damned good reason.