The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default trigger finger/thumb?

In the past few months I've developed trigger finger/thumb, it's way worse in my right thumb than my finger. Does anyone have a remedy for this other than going under the dreaded knife? I'm really worried about this affecting my ability to hold a rod and fish for long periods of time.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: trigger finger/thumb?

Timely question... First, I'm not a doc. Second, I've had the surgery on both hands, most recently yesterday. My first was the result of a staph infection that left a scar on the tendon of my left middle finger. Painful locking at inopportune times. That was back around 2001. The most recent is a result of Dupuytren's disease, and don't hold me to the spelling. My right ring finger was locking, painfully. I had two injections, which gave relief- a year the first time, 9 months the second. While conferring with the hand surgeon, my right middle finger began to be affected as well. It progressed rapidly, to the point that I wasn't getting much sleep, and 7x, size 24 flies became an impossibility. So yesterday they did both fingers, what they call "trigger finger release". It takes a while to heal, and "don't get it wet" until the stitches come out, but it's runoff now... Injections are just a postponement to the end.

My two cents worth.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.

Last edited by nickj; 05-11-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input.

This really sucks, I wake up and can't bend my thumb or my birdy finger, thankfully they limber up at work quick enough, but if I relax for very long my thumb will start locking badly. So far it's not a real painful situation, just a major pain in the tush.

I imagine the injections were not fun?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry John,that sucks indeed.Hope you can find a good doc to solve your problem or have you tried to see a good osteopath?It may help.
Some good infos here:Trigger Finger Causes and Treatment - WebMD
fysh and mcnerney like this.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I occasionally get Trigger Finger which I first suffered from about 15 years ago which I agree can be painful.
I also have had Injections for Tendonitis which as which only lasted about 6 Months however I Find Fish Oil helps as well as Panadol Osteo to relieve Pain.
Friends of mine had Operations for Trigger Finger.
Brian.
fysh and mcnerney like this.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John: Dang, sounds like you are getting old and starting to fall apart (like me).
Sure does sound painfull, best of luck in finding a good solution.
fysh likes this.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
Thanks for the input.

This really sucks, I wake up and can't bend my thumb or my birdy finger, thankfully they limber up at work quick enough, but if I relax for very long my thumb will start locking badly. So far it's not a real painful situation, just a major pain in the tush.

I imagine the injections were not fun?
The injections are less painful than the locked finger. The needle goes down to the tendon, then is withdrawn a bit, then the solution is injected. It's way more comfortable than a tattoo in a sensitive place, an injection for a damaged rotator cuff, or a failed root canal. It's all relative. In my case, the alternative to the treatment is an eventually totally crippled right hand, so there is no option. Good luck with yours.
fysh, mcnerney and Liphookedau like this.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:32 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

I had trigger finger in my pinky a few years ago. My doc recommended surgery, telling me an injection would only give temporary relief.

A friend recommended glucosamine chondroitin, so I decided to give it a try. It took about 6 weeks of regular use until I noticed any improvement, but then within another couple of weeks the trigger finger was gone. I kept taking the stuff for another 9 or 10 months, then dropped it. That's been at least 5 years, and the trigger finger has not returned.

It might not work for you, but it's worth giving it a try for a couple of months to see if it helps.
fysh, mcnerney and Liphookedau like this.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Nick exactly what I've had.

half fast your Glucosamine might be worth a try.
Brian
fysh likes this.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea this sort of stuff was common, or that it had a name. Every once in a while I'll move my right hand 'just so' and I'm squirting tears.
Across the palm just below the knuckles.