The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default How would you like to have an ice cube made of this stuff for your Single Malt?

Deep Canadian mine yields ancient water
Jonathan Amos By Jonathan Amos Science correspondent, BBC News
Ancient water Ancient gas and water is collected from 2.4km down in the Timmins mine

Water drilled from rock in a North American mine is among the oldest yet found on Earth, say scientists.

Novel dating techniques used by the Canadian and UK team suggest the fluid is at least 1.5 billion years old.

The water was probably once on the surface and then percolated through the ground where it became trapped at a depth of 2.4km.

The discovery, made under Timmins, Ontario, is reported in this week's edition of the journal Nature.

Although far from any light source, particular types of micro-organism could survive in the water - it has the right chemistry; it is rich in dissolved gases like hydrogen and methane.

The team is currently testing its samples to determine whether any such lifeforms are indeed present.

"There are similar waters in South Africa with almost identical chemistry that are tens of millions of years old, and they contain microbes that have adapted to that environment," explained Prof Chris Ballentine from Manchester University.

"These are microbes that can survive on the energy from the natural water-rock interactions," he told BBC News.

A positive identification had fascinating implications for our understanding of how life evolved on the early Earth and where it could exist underground today on other planets, such as Mars, Prof Ballentine added.
Xenon marker

The water was recovered from deeply buried sulphide ores containing zinc and copper.

The researchers collected the water as mineworkers drilled new exploratory holes.
Ancient Mars river It may be cold and dry today, but Mars retains evidence of ancient surface water

Temperature increases with depth and so the fluid emerged at 40-50C.

Three dating techniques were employed to work out how long the water trapped in the rock had been isolated.

A key method involved studying the different types, or isotopes, of xenon dissolved in the fluid.

The noble gas can be used as a marker to time when the fluid was last in contact with the atmosphere at the Earth's surface.

This approach only produces a broad age range, so the best the team can say is that the Timmins water had been resident underground for between 1.5 billion and 2.6 billion years. Even so, this is still hundreds of millions of years older than samples recovered from deep under South Africa's Witwatersrand Basin.

The only water known to be more ancient is found in minute quantities trapped in the voids in some rock minerals. These inclusions can be billions of years old.
Hidden reservoir

Members of the research group at Toronto University are now examining the Timmins samples for their biological content.

Identifying microbes would go to the heart of issues about the habitability of deep Earth environments and for the prospects of finding life on other worlds.
Mine water The water in the mine has the right chemistry to support certain kinds of microbes

Mars, for example, is cold and dry at its surface today, but the evidence suggests it was much warmer and wetter billions of years ago.

A lot of that early water was lost to space, but some of it is thought to have retreated to deep reservoirs.

Findings like those at Timmins raise the possibility that similar, long-isolated environments could yet persist on Mars, possibly supporting micro-organisms.

"The study has consequences for our understanding of how early life on Earth may have migrated into these kinds of environments and been protected from cataclysmic events at the surface," said Prof Ballentine.

"And being completely speculative, on somewhere like Mars, where the surface may have been habitable in its early history, water could have percolated into deep environments and been preserved on planetary timescales."
Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: How would you like to have an ice cube made of this stuff for your Single Malt?

I guess that'd be the ONLY way I'd drink it rather than the usual neat.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How would you like to have an ice cube made of this stuff for your Single Malt?

Well you can 'almost' get there. 25 years (or more) Uncle Mac put me on to 'Glacier Water.' I kid you not, clear 10,000 year old melted snow.

Month long trip to back to Canada (even Sr. Staff has to "Get the hell out of Dodge City") and intro my 'new wife' to family. Mac was a an exceptional Guy to put it at the least.

Ding-Dong on His/Frances front door and 'Come in my Dear!' (To Joan) Aunt Fran just rolled her eyes and 'Come in too Freddie.' Context, Joan was a stunning currlie headed-mop top Red Head.

The two sat there for hours, noses inches apart chatting about God knows what.

"Freddie, I think we need to walk to the store and get things for dinner. I don't think we could shovel those two apart with a crow bar.''

(One liners you just can't forget.)

You had to know Fran; dead on as usual.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:14 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

In the movies, those trapped critters, once freed from the rock, experience exponential growth and eat a major metropolitan city.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
it is rich in dissolved gases like hydrogen and methane.
Don't think I'll be adding that to my Scotch. :P
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Don't think I'll be adding that to my Scotch. :P
Naaa, its just pure water when you collect it from the base of the Glacier. Besides, anything in it the Malt will kill.