The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 04:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Oven done BBQ Ribs ... drop dead good.

Haven't done this in years, but it's drop dead 'BBQ' good eats done in the oven. Do the 'Q' for the Burgers/dogs. Bye the bye, you need to increace the 'poundage' by at least twice if this is the main course. Supply extra paper towels for napkins ... they will be sucking the bones.

"
Potluck Spareribs Recipe
Potluck Spareribs Recipe Potluck Spareribs Recipe photo by Taste of Home Rating 5

These ribs are guaranteed pleasers at potlucks. I always bring home an empty dish. —Sheri Kirkman, Lancaster, New York

Potluck Spareribs Recipe

Prep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 35 min.
Yield: 12 Servings

10 95 105
Ingredients
Savings in trail, OR 97541 Change Zip

6 pounds pork spareribs
1-1/2 cups ketchup
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

Cut ribs into serving-size pieces; place with the meaty side up on racks in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove racks; drain and return ribs to pans. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over ribs. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until sauce coats ribs, basting occasionally. Ribs can also be grilled over medium-hot heat for the last 35 minutes instead of baking. Yield: 12 servings.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 each) equals 551 calories, 32 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 1,065 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 32 g protein.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Oven done BBQ Ribs ... drop dead good.

Recipe sounds delicious....but let me offer a variation on the theme...

I start with a barbecue rub concocted from chili powder, cayenne, paprika, brown sugar, cumin, and garlic powder and anything else that catches my eye. Hundreds of recipes for rubs online..pick one and modify to taste.

cover the ribs liberally with the rub and then let them set a while.

I oven roast mine at a lower temp (275) and longer (2.5 to 3 hours) until meat just begins to separate from the bone. At this point you can wrap them up and keep them in the fridge for several days if you like.

If you've had them in the fridge, return them, wrapped in foil to the oven for 20 or 30 minutes just so they get hot and don't need to stay on the coals for a long time.

Place them over slow coals... charcoal or wood works best but a gas grill will do if you have no choice. The fat from the ribs should generate a lot of smoke. Cover the grill but open and turn a couple of time so the ribs don't burn and get tough.

I've found putting the sauce on while the ribs are over coals, results in a lot of carmelized sugar but some folks like this...if so, go for it. Or, remove the ribs after smoking a while, transfer to a pan you can cover tightly, then slather on the sauce, cover, and let them set a while.... They'll be plenty saucy!

I generally don't make my own sauce unless the cupboard is bare. Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy sauce with a generous addition of Cholula Hot Sauce is pretty good.

Bon Appetit!