The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default And I 'bit ch' about our Petrol price at $3.90/gallon.

By Samantha Bomkamp Tribune staff report

11:18 a.m. CDT, June 7, 2013

Average gas prices in Chicago are now higher than anywhere in the United States, driven higher by a combination of refinery issues and the annual transition to a more costly summer blend.

Drivers in the city are now paying an average of $4.55 a gallon, according to AAA, which is 20 cents higher than a week ago. The price for a gallon of premium unleaded is approaching $5, reaching $4.95 overnight. On this day last year, drivers were paying $4.12 per gallon.

The city still hasn’t reached the record per-gallon price of $4.68 a gallon, a mark set on March 27 of last year. But some stations are charging as much as $4.79 a gallon, mostly along the Dan Ryan, according to GasBuddy.com. At a handful of stations charging that price for unleaded, the cost of premium is as much as $5.29 per gallon.

The average price in the greater metro area is closer to a record. Drivers are paying $4.42 a gallon on average; the record hit last March was $4.51.

AAA spokeswoman Beth Mosher said gas prices in the region are still being driven up to problems at refineries, which churn oil into gasoline. Adding to shutdowns and maintenance issues is the transition to a more expensive summer blend of gasoline. Refineries are required to use a cleaner blend that produces fewer emissions in the peak summer driving season.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And I 'bit ch' about our Petrol price at $3.90/gallon.

Interesting, I complain about the price gouging here in Pinedale $3.79/gal yet I can go over to Big Piney (36 miles away) and their gas is $3.59. Jackson, WY is almost always cheaper than here in Pinedale. Last week when I was in Casper fishing I filled up at $3.39/gal.
But I guess if we really want to hear about high prices we should let JP chime in.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Our prices are brutal
Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just the fuel prices either.

When I was flying out of Midway the last weekend, a woman went to the counter at one of the shops in the Airport and asked for a pack of cigarettes. The lady working said that will be $15+change. The woman quickly said, I'll pass. Granted I know prices at the airport are higher and expect to be gouged for a beverage or whatever but man that's steep!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I know a little about high gas prices; I think the highest here was $1.40/Litre which translates to about $5.37/gallon. Luckily I live within 12 miles of another great nation where I can get gas for the low price of about $3.80/gallon!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I know a little about high gas prices; I think the highest here was $1.40/Litre which translates to about $5.37/gallon. Luckily I live within 12 miles of another great nation where I can get gas for the low price of about $3.80/gallon!
So hear you ... which is why crossing the Boarder in Blaine, Washington is such a .... well, the word is not allowed. Do your shopping, pay less, load up on Petrol and back you go.

Actually not all that unusual given the length of the US/Canadian boarder. One community I used to visit was a bit of a head scratcher. (Eastern Washington) The yellow line down the middle of the street WAS the boarder and no one gave a shxt. If you were a bird hunter (I wasn't) a Farmer's fence was "The line."

Until 9/11, no one on either side of the street could have cared less even after ... save (don't know if this is still the case) you had to walk down to the end of town and check in/out of Customs. Yes, you needed photo ID and/or a Pass Port to 'legally' walk 30 some feet north or south.

I'll leave it at that.

fae
wannafish likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 PM

Talking Re: And I 'bit ch' about our Petrol price at $3.90/gallon.

Just reading my emails and what do I have?

Love this: Canada & The United States: Bizarre Borders Part 2 - YouTube
Old 06-07-2013, 02:07 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Yeah this article hits home...I love outside of Chicago but still in Cook County. I just payed $4.65 for midgrade yesterday. Within a day, one local gas station went from $4.11/gallon to $4.46/gallon - in one day!!!!

Figure my truck holds about 18 gallons of fuel - That's $6.30 per tank and I fill up about 6 times a month. That just added almost $38 to my monthly bills.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:51 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

It can, will be, and has been, worse. milt [IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 06-08-2013, 01:49 PM

If you absolutely, must, no choice, middle of 'I don't know where,' cheap at the price?

Old Guy who 'lives alone' (well the Doggie) and a 'fill up' of the Jeep Liberty will cost me $50'ish +dollars a pass. Could I make the 7 mile trip to Medford and pay less at Costco? Without question, but when you factor in the 'gallon' to go back and forth (save for you have a shopping list in hand) Have to do that (roughly) twice per month. So what would that 'equate' in other terms?

More than all my utility bills, 18% of my Mortgage Payment taxes and insurance included, a bit less than my extended medical insurance premium, bit less than my months grocery bill at Wally's World (it really is cheaper to by there at the local 'Super Store'), etc.

And yes, I do smoke, but roll my own on a Cig-Machine. I have zero idea how young families make the numbers work. And I'm damned good at numbers.