The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A letter from the US Postal Service??? How odd.

I agree with the others, this sounds like a phishing attempt to me. I got a post card in the mail like enolaeagle mentioned just a few weeks ago. Same thing, fill out, mail in. It never ceases to amaze me the extent these scumbags will go to in order to get information from you or scam you.

For kicks & giggles, have you tried to google the website they direct you to in order to see whether or not others have done so and had issues? Just be careful that your google link doesn't direct you to the website in question. Look for some sort of forum or who is this page. I know when I get these spam phone calls, despite my registering in the National Do Not Call List, I google the number and there are pages upon pages of folks complaining about them.

Sounds like your situation is very similar to this except that they're sending you a physical letter.

You’ve Got Mail: USPS Phishing Scheme

My local post office is great, I've nothing but great things to say about them. I try and use USPS whenever possible for shipping.

Fred, do let us know what they have to say when you take the letter to the PO.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

So hear you B-9. I'm close to bouncing up/down on my office chair watching the clock tick. Being 'some what' of a public figure on the Internet (same name every where) I get 'interesting' e-mails passed by me. Been a long time since I have $5 million dollars on deposit .. yada-yada.

But these folks are getting more and more inventive as time passes. Obviously its well worth the time, for the money.

Typed much more/removed just so I could 'Say it to myself.' Vollied for 2.5+ years where we prepared 1,000'ish meals per day to Meals on Wheels, etc. Food out the door by 0830 and once a week I'd go to one of the serving centers. And just talk. Some times write notes (name/address/phone # if they could even afford same).

Stories I'd hear ripped my guts out; but the Social Services people paid close attention. They don't/didn't know, but were 'On It.'

Southern Oregon is a 'unique' place? Tomorrow, the 'retired staff,' at the kitchen, are getting together for lunch a t "McGraths."
Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

So what did the PO have to say Fred?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the letter is 'for real.' PO lady had not seen same, but was aware. Washington (where-ever) wants a real time survey of 'did your mail get delivered.' With (apparently) personal identifiers as to who responded. I was delighted she kept a straight face through out the conversation.

That aside, and the fact the Postal Service is several Billion dollars in the hole, how do you know if you've got good postal service? (I do know, and do.) You have mail in your box, so this is good? You have no mail so that's bad? I could see an on-line survey (and an 800 number if you can't) with a 'yes/no/comment' and be done with it. The delivery of junk mail is a good indicator the system is functional.

I really do wonder about the group of dip-xhits that dreamed this up.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 PM

Interesting turn of events here Fred. I'd have never guessed the website was something the USPS would be doing to monitor customer satisfaction.

On a positive note, at least it wasn't someone phishing for your personal info or trying to take control of your computer!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Glad to hear this was really the USPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
I really do wonder about the group of dip-xhits that dreamed this up.
My guess would be a substantial raise with or without promotion.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM

I wouldn't bet against you on that thought.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:56 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Was thinking about this yesterday. I bet this weird thing that found you is going to be the foundation of rate increases, etc. to get USPS out of the hole and/or to broaden the range of what can be done on the web. I don't know about you, but I have purchased shipping on line and printed the label at home. Have wondered if I could do it with just a basic stamp and run an envelope through my printer.

Thinking the brick-n-motar post office is going down the same path the town library has been treading for decades. They were once very important - the only access many had to books a/o long distance communication, but today were are overloaded with easy access to too much communication and info.

Then again the realist in me realizes that the USPS is spnding a boatload of money to prove they need at least two boat loads of money. One boat load to cover the research and more boatloads to cover what they can manipulate that research to 'prove'.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Was thinking about this yesterday. I bet this weird thing that found you is going to be the foundation of rate increases, etc. to get USPS out of the hole and/or to broaden the range of what can be done on the web. I don't know about you, but I have purchased shipping on line and printed the label at home. Have wondered if I could do it with just a basic stamp and run an envelope through my printer.

Thinking the brick-n-motar post office is going down the same path the town library has been treading for decades. They were once very important - the only access many had to books a/o long distance communication, but today were are overloaded with easy access to too much communication and info.

Then again the realist in me realizes that the USPS is spnding a boatload of money to prove they need at least two boat loads of money. One boat load to cover the research and more boatloads to cover what they can manipulate that research to 'prove'.
I suspect your 'Two for two' in your observations. I just hope mine (White City, Oregon) is not one. Great folks, never a miss on incoming, or out going to where ever that may be (UK, Western Europe, Canada, etc.) As well as their Postie Folks. Package just gets there, where addressed, and some of those I have to read and do a "Say what as to the address?"

Fav headed off as "Old Stone Cottage...." Seven working days later and Fellows package was handed over.

'Posties' get bad press, but I've yet to meet one that deserved the tirade.

Fred Evans
Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 PM

I agree with you Fred. Never ceases to amaze me how much the USPS is taken for granted in this country. We have on of the fastest and least expensive national postal services in the world. Countries the size of some of our states can't even come close to how fast the USPS folks can cover distance with objects.

Personally, they could double rates and I would still be happy to use the USPS - They are as reliable as gravity, and it is all because of the people.

Thinking about it it, they should get their own "Hallmark Holiday".
fredaevans likes this.