The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 12:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question A letter from the US Postal Service??? How odd.

Yesterdays mail and there's a letter from (so it says) the US Postal Service asking me to 'log into a site' and report on how 'good, effective, what-ever' are my local Postal Employees. Service, delivery, etc., and you're to respond daily to the web site. You have your (I assume) "Prospect ID number" and "Password" code.

Candidly, I don't have a single bad thing that I could say over three plus years living at my current address. Box too big and they drive it to my door.

But back on point. Has anyone else gotten such a letter?

Fred

PS: I have no intention of logging in, but I do intend to drive to my local PO and ask the obvious.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A letter from the US Postal Service??? How odd.

Fred: I haven't received anything like that, but I would follow your advice and go to the P.O. and ask if it is legit before I logged in.
imxer and yonder like this.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Very strange. Sounds like a phishing type scheme because if I get a postal survey in the mail, its normally a card that gets filled out and mailed back.
yonder likes this.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-22-2013, 01:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
Very strange. Sounds like a phishing type scheme because if I get a postal survey in the mail, its normally a card that gets filled out and mailed back.
I suspect you may be right, but in the mail? One way or the other the trip to the PO come Monday morning could/will be most interesting.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:14 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Seems odd. Is the web address they are sending you to either a .gov address or a place like surveymonkey? It's hard to see what the angle would be if it is not legit, unless they are sending you to a bad website. Would be nice if the post office was looking for good feedback, I've not had trouble with my carriers.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:57 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

My carriers and post office staff are most professional........if it doesn't fit in the box.......they pull up in the driveway and blow the horn.....or leave my a note to come by and pick it up!!! Any way......I am very pleased......as I live in a small town and know alot of them on a first name basis.......
fredaevans likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 PM

Thumbs up Re: A letter from the US Postal Service??? How odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
My carriers and post office staff are most professional........if it doesn't fit in the box.......they pull up in the driveway and blow the horn.....or leave my a note to come by and pick it up!!! Any way......I am very pleased......as I live in a small town and know alot of them on a first name basis.......

Hear you Bro;, hear you.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I ran into a very similar survey when I was tracking a package on USPS.com. Far as I can tell it was completely legit - no special offers, no request for detailed personal info, just some general generic info like age, gender, how often I use USPS.com and what I use it for, and no 'fall-out' after a month.

With what you have posted here, I would GUESS they are being legit about checking up on themselves.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
I ran into a very similar survey when I was tracking a package on USPS.com. Far as I can tell it was completely legit - no special offers, no request for detailed personal info, just some general generic info like age, gender, how often I use USPS.com and what I use it for, and no 'fall-out' after a month.

With what you have posted here, I would GUESS they are being legit about checking up on themselves.
An on line survey I could easily follow, but in this case you are given an ID number and 'password.' And as noted, they want you to 'report in' daily (M-S). Ah well, in about 24 hours I'll standing at the PO's door.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Fred, like you I would be very suspicious if it's legit. I received an email recently, although not in regard to the US Postal service, from a company claiming my domain names are in jeopardy if I don't contact them right away. I own several domain names associated with my previous fly tying business & keep them registered & parked with Go Daddy. My first thought was that they were phishing scams as it directed me to fax information to a phone number.

I forwarded the email to Go Daddy & the reply indicated it was a legit company trying to get me to re-register my domains with them, at a significantly higher cost.

This companies scare tactics don't set well with me! But, I have to wonder how many other folks will take the email as a true concern & accept the "offer"!

There is some legal-eeze in their email, that states you're not obligated "UNLESS" you accept the offer & fax the info they request! It's a play on words attempting to fool those they send it to. It's still a scam IMO, although it appears to be legal.

Be careful, & IMO, you're doing the correct thing by going to the USPS directly!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!