The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   Maryland fishing question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/324413-maryland-fishing-question.html)

95chevy 07-07-2013 02:21 PM

Maryland fishing question

I am going on vacation to ocean city in a week. I plan on doing a lot of fishing. At least one boat trip and then off the pier and surf casting off the beach. But I have a question. Do I need a fishing license. Like I have in PA but for Maryland. I know if you go out on a boat you don't but I could not find anything solid for on shore fishing. Thanks for any answers.

pa dave 07-07-2013 03:25 PM

Re: Maryland fishing question

I don't know if you need a Maryland license to fish the shore (I'm thinking not), but you will need to register with the National Saltwater Registry, which I think is $15. Here is a link to the registry.

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/register/

theboz 07-07-2013 05:06 PM

Party boats and charters cover your license. Bring your own boat , rent one , beach , bay or pier need the marine license. Some pay piers also cover license.

95chevy 07-07-2013 05:10 PM

OK. So if I have it straight, I need to go to a license dealer(tackle shop) and get a license. To do any fishing other than a party or charter boat(I plan on going on a party boat unless I can get a few other guys to slit the cost of a charter). Do you know if I need to buy a full year license or if I can get an x# of day temp license. Thanks for the info

bigjim5589 07-07-2013 09:59 PM

MD changed the license requirements a few years back. Used to be, there was none for coastal fishing, but now it's required, either from shore or boat in MD waters. The exceptions would be if you own land on the water, free fishing areas, or fishing with a licensed charter. For saltwater, if you don't need the license, you still have to register with the Saltwater Sportfishing Registry.

You can go to the MD DNR website & find all of this information there.

If you need to buy a saltwater license, you'll automatically be registered when you make your purchase.

MD does have temporary licenses, like a 7 day.

DNR Licensing and Registration Service - Maryland Department of Natural Resources

95chevy 07-07-2013 10:06 PM

OK. Thanks for all the info. Looks like I will get a 7 day license when I get there. I'll just head over to the tackle shop. That seems to be the simplest way. And I can get a few hints on the best spots. Haha.

bigjim5589 07-07-2013 10:09 PM

One more item! There may be time restrictions for fishing from the beach in OC. Used to be, in swimming areas, anglers had to be off the beach while lifeguards were on duty, so that there was not conflict between swimmers & anglers. Depends on where you are too.

I haven't fished down there in many, many years, but when I did I would fish the beach early in the AM, after the swimmers left the beach in the PM, and the jetty on the south end otherwise.

There used to be structures built along the beach to help control erosion. Those are the best places if they're still any there. There will be holes around the ends washed out by the tide. Try bucktails cast out just past the end of the structures & retrieved back.

Even flies can be productive around those structures, and doesn't require long casts. Clousers work well! Try poppers early & late! :thumbsupu

95chevy 07-08-2013 11:09 AM

Oh yeah. I'm used to the time restrictions. I used to live on long Island and went surf casting almost every day. Out there it was whenever the parking was free. Which was before 8:00 am and after 5:30 pm. Thanks for the tip on the structures. I will certainly look for them.

95chevy 07-14-2013 09:00 PM

Well I went fishing for the second time today. First time was yesterday but it only had a few lures. Tonight was great. I got some squid and these things called "fish bites" it a blood worm alternative and I hooked a small piece of both on a top bottom rig and clipped a 2oz weight on the bottom and the first cast within 30 second I had one. I caught 9 of them. And that was in the time of about an hour. They are spot fish. All around the 9" mark. It's fun as all heck. I can wait to go to the pier and then get out on a boat.