The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 05:19 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What have you found or encountered while fishing or otherwise outdoors?

BIGFOOT, I didn't get a pic though
Old 07-11-2013, 05:45 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have you found or encountered while fishing or otherwise outdoors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
BIGFOOT, I didn't get a pic though
I did, and he fly fishes!

Bigfoot tracks...:
Click the image to open in full size.

The beast himself:

Hey, pictures don't lie...

Kelly.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

A severely obese couple doing the horizontal mambo as I rounded the bend on a flat on Grand Bahama Island, two beautiful ladies doing the same under a waterfall at a lodge stream I was guiding at,a bloated dead man covered with snails and fiddler crabs at Jones Beach Toll estuary,a small plane that had crashed years prior on the side of a mountain in NM, a dead floating whale off Moriches Inlet,a black bear in the middle of the Upper Delaware fishing,Whitetail Deer swimming across Great South Bay,Moose swimming in Lake in Canada and the list goes on!

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

mridenour May I have my magazines back?
Hardyreels, mcnerney and cattech89 like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

While I've come across my share of lost knives and fishing gear, discarded or just old pots, pans and "overnight accommodations," the most telling thing that I've encountered while fishing was the meaning of true friendship.

A few years back and just into my second "post-cancer" stage, my fishing cronies/brothers-- "Stump" and "Trunk"(their nicknames as these boys both exceed the 6'7" mark and weigh in at over 340 lbs. each) and me were wading a stretch of the AuSable River known for its deep holes and frigid waters, especially in early May. In typical fashion, I got it into my head that I could cross a certain stretch of water without floating my hat. I was wrong...

The currents were stronger than imagined, and the water far deeper than first thought. I went under, the water hitting me with the same effect as a thousand frozen needles, causing me to lose my grip on my rod, reel and hat, and filling the upper half of my waders above the belt. The cold water disoriented me, to say the least.

Moments later, I was being pulled back to the surface and dragged ashore by "Stump" where "Trunk" already had a fire going. Off came my waders, wet gear and the like, and I was "guided"-- I call it "carried" --over to a place by the fire and covered with the jackets and a "space bag" contraption belonging to one of the brothers.

As my shivering started to wane, it was then that I noticed that "Stump" had shed his waders and gone in after me, as he, too, was soaking wet. "Trunk" returned from just downstream about 30 minutes later minus his waders as well, equally soaked to the skin and carrying my gear in hand.

For the next hour in front of the fire, no one said a word. But, in those 60 minutes of silence, I realized that I'd found something very rare-- two solid friends who were willing to risk it all. Both had waded into ice-cold waters minus waders and coats to save my proverbial "bacon," and to retrieve fishing gear that they knew meant the world to me.

On the river that day, I found myself bathed in the warmth of the fires of friendships at know no bounds. And, that, to me, is one of the finest things that I've ever discovered while fishing a river...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
a dead floating whale off Moriches Inlet,
I fished a beach in Nova Scota one time where there was a dead whale washed up on shore.
You could smell it from further away than you could see.
theboz likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

I was fishing the Pecos River one afternoon and I was a couple of hundred yards below another pair of anglers. I waded into a riffle looking upstream to where the water pushed against a rock face and there were some risers breaking the surface.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a brown flash in the trees to my left. I thought it was an elk moving through the woods and I tracked it as it approached the river. Shortly, a small cinnamon colored black bear crashed into the riffles about a hundred feet below me and splashed across the river. She stopped on the bank and rocked onto on her haunches looking back at the path she had been running along.

She wasn't looking at me and I figured the other anglers had probably spooked her. I decided this was a photo op so I went for my camera but I barely had it out when she looked right at me and then turned and ran over a small rise heading away from me.

Oh well, maybe next time.

Then there was this cry. It came out of the trees from which the bear had originally appeared. Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom introduced me to that cry many years ago but I'd never actually heard it: baby bear.

Well, now things started to feel interesting and I scanned the trees along the shore and a couple of minutes later, yep, the cub came out onto the shore next to me. He was about 50 feet away and he settled back on his rear, looked at me, and started bawling.

Cool! Another photo op...no wait...fatherly voices in my head were reminding me that there was another bear somewhere that might have some interest in this cub. I took the advice ("never watch the cub, always check six") and sure enough, momma's head and shoulders appeared above a rise about 100 feet off the river. I was right in between them.

No photo op. Time to go. I stowed my fly, got a good grip on my wading staff, and I turned upriver and began to slowly wade away from both bears. I got a couple of hundred feet up and angled back to shore and moved along the river to find the other fisher-folk and let them know to keep a look out.

I saw the sow again later, up on a hillside watching me. She was about three hundred feet off and she stayed put long enough for me to take some pictures.

Pretty exciting stuff. I had a great day fishing too .
Old 07-12-2013, 02:20 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I fished a beach in Nova Scota one time where there was a dead whale washed up on shore.
You could smell it from further away than you could see.
Even in the water they smell . Plus this one was having chunks removed by that same problem you have at Seal Island!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-12-2013, 06:42 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Someone had stripped a dodge extended cab truck and dumped the bare cab in the river.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've found lots of stuff but I look for these.

This is for John & Paul, a live one

theboz and jeepster II like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I found this while fishing in Korea. It was on the ground between two boulders near a washed out part of the river bank. It's probably worthless but it sits in my cabinet of Korean stuff I collected over the years.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]