The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By paymaster
  • 2 Post By paymaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM

paymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wild Hog

My son brought over two hind quarters from a wild pig he shot last fall. I smoked them on the Akorn. I put rub on one and nothing but apple juice on the other. They turned out great. I did two fatties for some friends as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

mcnerney, jaybo41, theboz and 1 others like this.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wild Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by paymaster View Post
My son brought over two hind quarters from a wild pig he shot last fall. I smoked them on the Akorn. I put rub on one and nothing but apple juice on the other. They turned out great. I did two fatties for some friends as well.

Glad I saw this after I ate! Awesome!

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Paymaster how do you like the Akorn Smoker? And what's the deal with the smoke stone? My smoker is on it's last legs I did a batch of trout the other night and realized I can't patch any more holes! Us it durable and how is it on rust ? Looks pretty solid is the metal thick? Just want to pick your brain a little!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Looks a nice feed you have cooked I've already eaten however it makes me feel Hungry again as I also like Wild Pork when The Wheat Harvest is on especially the Legs & The Back Straps done in The Camp Oven.
Sometimes if there's a few of we might Roast The whole Pig on a Spit.
We also usually have a couple of weeks away each year chasing Wild Pork to fill our Freezers.
We were always going to build a Smoker as we have no shortage of Australian Hardwoods which are really good for smoking nearly any type of meat.
Brian
Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 AM

paymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of lightpaymaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Glad I saw this after I ate! Awesome!

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Paymaster how do you like the Akorn Smoker? And what's the deal with the smoke stone? My smoker is on it's last legs I did a batch of trout the other night and realized I can't patch any more holes! Us it durable and how is it on rust ? Looks pretty solid is the metal thick? Just want to pick your brain a little!
I love mine. Once you get one and figure out how to set the vents to cook the way you want, you will too, I bet. As to the stone. Inside thye Akorn is a bracket that a heat deffuser would fit on. Heat defussers protect the meat in a low and slow cook from burning from the heat of sitting directly over the coals. I use a weber grill grate, and a 15" aluminum pie pan from Hobby Lobby. I put an inch or so of sand in the pan and cover the pan with foil and set it upon the weber rack. This accomplished a few things. I catches drippings from the meat, and the sand helps maintain a constant temp( heat sink ) and the whole thing deffuses the heat. The Akorn is very well built and is made of insulated steel.
mcnerney and theboz like this.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, does that look great, I just ate breakfast and now your making me hungry!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 PM

superbike1 is on a distinguished road

I'm hungry! Hoping to get me a wild hog here soon!