The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 08:10 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Insurance Rant

Yeah I had to do that about a month ago.

I got a call from AAA to renew my membership and the gentleman also inquired if I would be interested in a quote for my insurance. With nothing to lose, I said sure. I about fell off my chair when he came in around 400 less than what I was currently paying per 6 months. That's $800 a year!!

I called my agent and gave her a chance to lower it and she couldn't budge so I switched.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

My auto insurance has been with State Farm for close to 30 years, and we compare often. So far, they've remained our best cost, but should that change I'll make a switch in a heart beat. I have no loyalty to them, as I know they have none to me! Business is business!

I changed my Home Owners several years back, even with the combined rate, I still got a better deal from another company. I'd rather have the difference in cost in my pocket than some insurance companies!

Folks do have to be vigilant & aware of what's going on with any financial related dealings or someone will try to take advantage of you! Sad, but true!

The company I work for shops & evaluates insurances every year, and it's not a bad idea for the rest of us!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:11 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

You can thank all of the natural disasters (forest fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc) for the increases. I'm not blaming anyone who had to endure a disaster but when the insurance companies have to pay out for those losses, someone has to pay, and unfortanatly its most everyone else.

I just went thru this about 3-4 months ago, didn't save any $$ but the previous insurance agent just ticked me off for being stupid. Hopefully I moved my business to a smarter one but time will tell.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
My first position after graduation was in the insurance industry. After a year i was done....couldnt look myself in the mirror anymore..

Soooo, i became a banker...........
Not completely sure that was a step in the right direction.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Actually 'risk management' falls under two covers: Spread the risk as wide as you can and where is the property. Some just goes into a pool (think butter on toast) and other is 'there's extraordinary risk here.'

Don't know if its still the case, but there (back in the day) were 9 'risk' categories. One the lowest, nine the highest. Every thing from crime rates to fire protection got factored in. A lot of number crunching, but (statistically) actually very straight forward stuff. You could do "The Numbers" right down to a zip code.

Which is why some Insurance Companies don't even offer coverage (any kind) in some States. They'll give you lots of reasons for 'why not' but the bottom line is there's no way they could charge the Premiums needed to off set the risk(s).
Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Well I am back from my business travels this week and literally spent 20 minutes on the phone with another provider

Homeowners went from$2450 per year to $1230
Auto went from $1800 to $1200 per year

I see a new set of Abel nippers in my future (revive the Abel nipper thread from the winter)
Old 07-12-2013, 08:06 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

I wish I was in the mindset to shop... I've had my agent for 15 years now. He always shops for me and seems to get decent rates. He also deals with my company insurances.

I always joke around with him and tell him he's a dirty crook

The good side for me is that I trust him, he always answers his phone and returns calls and he explains the policies to me including the fine print. I've called plenty of times when he was on the road and he can recite my policies to me if I have questions that need answered asap.

I don't know about other states but here in Pa, if you get an outside quote here's some of the hassles:

*you have to submit you're information for the quote like address, SS# etc...
*notification gets sent to Penn Dot that you may have changed your insurance. then you have to go through the ringer to submit to the nimrods at DOT that you still carry insurance. Its a real pain. I've never went through that but my wife used to work their so I've heard all the horror stories.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Whew,

I just paid home owners and boat, the autos are not due until August 25 so I'll wait.

I'm going to shop some prices myself but based on what I've read here I'm doing OK thus far. My pet peeve is the cost for the boat......... Just under 700 / year. I know most of this is liability for passengers / customers, but I only have people in that boat 30 - 40 days / year. Then you gotta figure ice out on May 25 and freeze up by October 25........... It's an expensive 5 month policy at best.

The vehicles are 600 / year for my truck and 740 for Nancy's Forrester. Then there's that pesky 300 for the 2 motorcycles................ and we haven't even touched on the general Health policies! I don't need to hear about Obamacare messing up the works, they have been raping us since before this guy got elected. It seems that the new healthcare bill simply gave the insurance companies license to rape at will.

Anyway, since it's a rant I let off a little steam there myself.

You may notice I moved this thread to the 'Members Lodge', here it is not viewed by the million visitors we get but let's keep it cool just the same.

Ard, insurance poor AK. fly fisherman.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Whew,

I just paid home owners and boat, the autos are not due until August 25 so I'll wait.

I'm going to shop some prices myself but based on what I've read here I'm doing OK thus far. My pet peeve is the cost for the boat......... Just under 700 / year. I know most of this is liability for passengers / customers, but I only have people in that boat 30 - 40 days / year. Then you gotta figure ice out on May 25 and freeze up by October 25........... It's an expensive 5 month policy at best.

The vehicles are 600 / year for my truck and 740 for Nancy's Forrester. Then there's that pesky 300 for the 2 motorcycles................ and we haven't even touched on the general Health policies! I don't need to hear about Obamacare messing up the works, they have been raping us since before this guy got elected. It seems that the new healthcare bill simply gave the insurance companies license to rape at will.

Anyway, since it's a rant I let off a little steam there myself.

You may notice I moved this thread to the 'Members Lodge', here it is not viewed by the million visitors we get but let's keep it cool just the same.

Ard, insurance poor AK. fly fisherman.
Check with the Good Sam Insurance (GMAC)for your boat. They mainly do rv's but I'm not too sure about boats... If you can get it, they allow you to remove (or lessen) the premium while the unit is not in use during winter months or what have you.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...