The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Insurance Rant

Not fly fishing related so going here in general discussion.

Friendly reminder to keep your insurance agent honest. I've been asleep at the wheel , which is odd because I am cheap.

2008 homeowners policy $800 per year
2013 premium, same house , coverage and no claims $2350

2008 auto policy for 2 cars $80 per month
2013 same same except newer cars , even though had new ones in 2008 as well $150 per month

Don't be asleep at the wheel. My buddy just re did his with comparable cars and a house worth 100k more and he is paying $200 per month less than me. Do you realize how many nano fiber , Kevlar lined, 3M nano resin from mars super duper fly rods per year I could buy with this savings....uggggggg
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance Rant

Yikees! That is one steep increase, I feel your pain!

Last week I went to Denver to take my son and his family to a Rockies ballgame. He lives in Milliken, CO and told me he got his tax assessment on his house, it jumped $250,000 from last year. He is going to try and protest such a high increase in one year.

Larry
Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

" I'm an American, and I vote with my wallet "
Sounds like it's time to find a new agent.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

My first position after graduation was in the insurance industry. After a year i was done....couldnt look myself in the mirror anymore..

Soooo, i became a banker...........
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

I can't stand the insurance industry. They are legalized thieves without control !

I pay more to them than I am taxed for government services. ....and government is what most will point a finger at causing our financial woe.

Sure I can shop my policies but do I have to do it every 6 months. I receive all the discounts from my premiums that are available and still face an increase at renewal.

10-4
Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

When I moved to MT from NH my auto premiums nearly doubled. Been a long time member of USAA and great institution but switching to Geico saved me $630 a year just in auto for the same coverage. Felt weird parting with USAA after 10 years.

Had my brother do a check on his and he saved about $200 for a six month period. For those that haven't shopped around in a while it's probably worth a look. I'm thinking this savings will transition nicely into a new 7wt for streamer season.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

The Gecko dropped 50% of of what I was paying for car ins. (Part of it was they have a short view of driving history - for me that's important.)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Changed all of our insurance this year and saved HUGE money. I would have been happy with small money and ditching our annoying agent! Life is good!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post

Changed all of our insurance this year and saved HUGE money. I would have been happy with small money and ditching our annoying agent! Life is good!
Same here. We had a 3-yr run with Geico and this year they decided to triple our homeowners policy... I gave them a chance to step up and they fell well short of the mark. So we jumped ship.

Happy for now... but it's early!

This seems to be a 3-5 year cycle for us.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

That little plug in thing under the dash is well worth the 6 months time. My auto insurance premium (and I don't drive that much) dropped by close to 2/3's.

Gather its like a small cell phone sort of thing that reports when you drive, how far you drive, time, speed, etc. A frequent history of high speed breaking is not a good thing. Driving between 11 PM and 3 AM apparently is also not a good thing unless there's a consistant history of such. (Shift work related.)

Don't know if it's still true, but a neighbor up in Washington was a State Patrol Officer. Told me that at 3 AM it was likely that 1 in 3 drivers were 'impared' to one degree or another.

HO also went down a bit but not paying anything like the premiums guys are posting above.