The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By siege
  • 1 Post By siege

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold
Default Last laugh.

I stopped in the local pawn shop on my lunch hour today. Sometimes there is a nice old Colt, or Beretta. You never know what might show up.
What caught my eye was the black fiberglass Master brand fly rod. It had a black foam grip, about 5 guides in total, and the 6" tip section was taped back on the side near the top with some black electrical tape. The rod was about 5" shorter than when it left the factory in Taiwan. I made a pretty big show of shaking it around, and made an offer on it. The owner wanted $20 for it. I offered him $10, and we split the difference at 15.
I'm pretty sure he was laughing under his breath when I left with my prize. He must have been pretty confused when he found that rod in the dumpster out back where I had left it upon leaving the store.
He got me pretty good. All I kept was the Pflueger Medalist that was on the reel seat of that rod. I sure learned a lesson from that sharp operator today.

Last edited by siege; 07-19-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Last laugh.

pics of the reel if you please

ARFE
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

Hi Casey, it was nothing special. Another 1494 DA.
No barrel shaped spacers, no 0 shaped line guide. It's something that will see some use. If it was an older model, it might get respectfully retired to the antique shelf, but no such luck on this one
But I'm always on the lookout. My wife has learned to look forward to yard-sale Saturdays. She looks at what she likes, and keeps a book in the the car in case I spend too much time dickering. I have picked up St.Croixs and Sages, and 1 no name bamboo at garage and sidewalk sales. It's sorta like dry land fishing. The good catches keep you willing to go on to another likely looking spot.On a day off, if I can't get some fishing in, I like a little wheelin' n' dealin', and then take my wife to lunch, to reward her patience.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the new reel!

Larry