The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By thewalker1013
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By theboz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 10:21 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about
Default Happy Birthday to my mentor

Also known to me and a couple of others as "Dad," the old guy turned 79 today, still out there fishing (though almost exclusively in the still waters). I'm so thankful today (and every day) that he's beaten the cancer so many times and is free and clear now (knock, knock). Fishing with him over the last couple of weeks brought me so much joy, there were times I just didn't know what to do with myself. I have shed my share of tears into the rivers worrying that he and I might have gone on our last fishing trip together, but this year they were tears of joy... joy that this man was right next to me, cheering me on as I fought the good fight, netting my fish for me, and talking to the fish as I revived them.

I thank God everyday that I've had such a wonderful and enthusiastic teacher in my life's passion... he's become more of an observer these days when I'm around, helping my wife when she needed it so that I could fish on my own more (you'll notice that he's holding the net for me or my wife in many of these, and most likely holding the camera in most of the shots of trout I've posted on here in the past).

Here's to you, Dad.

Click the image to open in full size.

This was the last fish he caught on the last day of my trip this year... I hope he made it out fishing today, the rain has kept him indoors (but kept the fires away, thank God!) for the last week

Hardyreels, williamhj and theboz like this.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy Birthday to my mentor

Great tribute to your father! I too hope he made it out to the water on his birthday!

Larry

Old 07-19-2013, 11:18 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, Larry! He's one of a kind, for sure. He's a dry fly purist (though sometimes will pull a woolly worm or two) and stubborn about it, so I sent him a dry fly float kit from Orvis for his birthday... has several types of floatant (shake, gel, line/leader dressing, etc.), I think he'll really like the shake as he's never really used any
Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Talk him into the shake, I know all about being set into your ways but when I dry fly fished a lot I was a dry shake junkie. it works best when you tap a bit into the hand and crush the fly into it then shake to finish. I used to do that and follow with some Frog's Fanny to put them high & dry. They almost always bring up a fish after a good going over

So wonderful to have your dad for so long and I wish you many, many more seasons together.

Great post,

Ard
thewalker1013 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice thing!Your Dad sounds special! Keep on fishing together!
thewalker1013 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I lost my Dad when I was 8 years old. I'm glad you and your Dad can share the relationship you have. It's awesome to see. Take a lot of pictures, and keep a journal. You'll treasure both, later.
My birthday was Saturday, and we weren't able to go fishing, but my sons took me to a sportsman's show, and a quick stop at the fly shop. It was a good day, and will be remembered with pleasure. We fish together as often as we can, but it's never often enough. Enjoy the days ahead, so you can remember the days past.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great tribute to your dadwish you many more outings together