The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly Fishing With Health Issues

I'll turn 58 next month and it seems like when I turned 55, the aches and pains just came out of the woodwork so to speak. I usually don't take anything as the pain is just a source of irritation for the most part, but there are those days when I do take a couple ibuprofen and go on my way. I can't do what I use to do but still try. I remember being able to do a lot of things in a days time, but my body keeps reminding me (constantly I might add) that its' not as young as you to be so stop that. You'll regret that tomorrow, I assure you. Seldom does my mind listed tho. People say I'm stubborn and hard headed too.

It's a part of the aging process, I'm luckier than others I know, I can still do a lot of things others can't, I try not to complain much. Time for another ice pack.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Welcome to the club, Flybum. I turned 52 last month. I seem to add a new malady every year or two, and I went through the carpal tunnel thing a few years back. My CT was caused primarily by heavy computer work in the office, but it's also exacerbated by my guitar playing.

Fortunately, I didn't need surgery. Use of wrist braces like Fred suggests, along with some exercises from a physical therapist, relieved it in a couple of months. I also found that using glucosomine condroitin helps, but it takes at least 6 weeks to notice any effect.

Hang in there. With modern medicine, ailments that were incapacitating or even fatal a few decades ago are now merely inconveniences. I have an autoimmune condition that would have been deadly just a short while ago, but these days it's well controlled with a couple of pills every day and I have no ill effects.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and FlyBum like this.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

All I have to say is you all are awesome!

I also fight with depression and anxiety. Your replies have genuinely lifted me out of the funk and gotten me to relax and realize that none of this is anything, but life and life is good. I need to just embrace it all and find solutions and management strategies that work for me.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
For several years I've awoken at night, because my hands become numb and occassionally pin and needles feeling like my hands have fallen asleep. I spoke to my doctor several years ago and he said I have a sprain from my job which requires daily typing. Finally about 6 months ago this started happened after casting for a extended period.
Don't expect doctors to know what they're talking about.
If something ails you do some research and analyze what it might be prior to visiting the doctor. I learned this with my dad who was being overmedicated and wasn't getting better. Did a lot of research and narrowed his problems down to a couple of things. Got a second opinion, gave my opinion, and in a matter of days he was up and feeling better. Doctors are geat people but we put too much trust in them and their default answers. Good luck. SF
Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 AM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Fly Fishing With Health Issues

A couple of years ago, my hips and back hurt so bad I couldn't walk more than 20 feet or so without stopping for the pain to ease up. I was seeing a chiropractor because of the pain. He said it was from an inflamed sciatic nerve, and pressure on other nerves, and my only choice was surgery. He had given up on me. Although I was a sceptic, and did'nt have any faith in alternative health care, I went to see an acupuncturist. I walked out of there pain free. It was the best fifty bucks I ever spent ! It may not work for everyone, but the point is, keep trying. There is always something out there that might help .At 66, I have some health issues, too. I take my meds, watch my diet, and generally behave myself. It comes with the territory. I finally learned to appriciate getting older when I realized it sure beats the other alternative. No more birthdays.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I'll turn 58 next month and it seems like when I turned 55, the aches and pains just came out of the woodwork so to speak. I usually don't take anything as the pain is just a source of irritation for the most part, but there are those days when I do take a couple ibuprofen and go on my way. I can't do what I use to do but still try. I remember being able to do a lot of things in a days time, but my body keeps reminding me (constantly I might add) that its' not as young as you to be so stop that. You'll regret that tomorrow, I assure you. Seldom does my mind listed tho. People say I'm stubborn and hard headed too.

It's a part of the aging process, I'm luckier than others I know, I can still do a lot of things others can't, I try not to complain much. Time for another ice pack.
I swear,

The 55 year thing is for real! I was good to go until 55, now I feel just like you have so well described. If it doesn't get a lot worse I'll deal with it.

It paints a cheery picture for the future huh Tom
jpbfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The 55 year thing is for real! I was good to go until 55
Turned 61 in april and didn't notice anything Ard....
Avoid docs....some plants...a little gym everyday....I gave up smoking when I retired!!!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:08 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

after 5 bypasses, 11 stents, 4 baloons, being diabetic, 60% of bones in body broken over the years (racing)(being dum) carpo in both wrists, seizures from migrains(fixed) and turning 58 in a week.

I feel the best I have in years !
legs cramp when i walk but am fighting it.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 07-24-2013, 09:36 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
after 5 bypasses, 11 stents, 4 baloons, being diabetic, 60% of bones in body broken over the years (racing)(being dum) carpo in both wrists, seizures from migrains(fixed) and turning 58 in a week.

You win!

Kelly.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post

I have to agree - you win!

Sent from Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.