The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 03:02 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fly Fishing With Health Issues

I'm on the disabled fisherman's list, too. I've been living and working in severe pain for about twenty years and finally quit my job in 2012 based on diagnosis at sixty. My neurosurgeon says I have the back of an eighty year old. I'm now on ss disability and have made some changes to keep on fishing.

Like revisiting easy-walking roadside streams I know of but have refused to fish for thirty years. I took up lake fishing again with a pontoon boat I trailer to the lakes fully assembled. I bought a travel trailer so I don't have to set up camp. I don't fish with my old fishing buddies because I can't keep up and don't want to fish somebody else's put down all day long. Hitting up the tail waters on the off season days so I don't have to walk so much.

So far I haven't been able to fish one of those road side streams. Lake fishing sucks. I haven't taken my trailer anywhere because it's more comfortable staying in motels. I don't have one single person to fish with who's about my speed and every time I even think about going to a river I have a set back and have to go get more spinal shots.

I'm about to bust if I don't go catch a real trout pretty soon.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I hear you, Jeepster:The back thing is hard to ignore. I'm recovering from my second fusion surgery in April. 6 wks after the operation, I coughed twice. The pain put me on the floor and I'm right back to the sciatica I had before the operation. The fusion is fine. I must have damaged a nerve. I think this might be forever.
Now both elbows are arthritic. The right is still OK for casting, but I don't think I'm going to be able to use the two hander.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Hey Ard;

Glad I could help 'splain SOMETHING on this forum, even if its not dealing with fly fishing per se.

These golden years are more like the "rust" years if ya ask me. As I said, I know I'm a lot better off than others, (not rubbing it in as my time is coming I'm fairly sure) so I try to make the best of what I got. I think I've used 10 of my nine lives and I prefer dogs.

God bless to you guys with severe pain who still trek off into the woods to that hidden river or stream looking for some joy and pleasure.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I was blessed (?)with an extra vertebrae in my spine. I have 2 collapsed disks, and 2 fractured vertebrae. I'm so old that I fart dust. Nevertheless, I love to wade. You know what the most important piece of fishing gear I have is ?...... A collapsible wading staff.
It's a lifesaver for my back. I hate stepping down into a hole and jarring my spine, or worse. It's great to probe the bottom before stepping into a blind hole.The staff is like having a 3 legged stance. Very stable.
Don't be too proud to wear that staff on your hip and use it as needed. Mine is shock corded, flips right open, then can be folded to about 12".
Like the Old Testament said, "my rod and my staff, they comfort me" How about you ?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It's my shoulders and neck that become so sore after about 4 - 5 hours that I have to stop for calisthenics and stretching to loosen up. The warmup lasts an hour and then I repeat as needed.

At the end of a day like the fishing report I posted a while ago it takes an hour at home before I feel normal, which is normally sore

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;