The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Fly Fishing With Health Issues

This has been an interesting year with some great highlights and some...well I'll just say interesting challenges. I turned 50 years old near the end of April. It seems I've had one health challenge after another. Last week I had to have a bunch of lab work done.

For several years I've awoken at night, because my hands become numb and occassionally pin and needles feeling like my hands have fallen asleep. I spoke to my doctor several years ago and he said I have a sprain from my job which requires daily typing. Finally about 6 months ago this started happened after casting for a extended period.

However, I recently changed doctors do to moving into a different part of Sacrament, County. Now I'm quite P'd off at the previous doc. When I reported this to my new doctor he ordered tests and I was diagnosed last Thursday with Carpal Tunnel. So now I've made a claim against my State Government employers worker's comp.

The thing is I'm more bothered by the effect on my fishing then on my job.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:43 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing With Health Issues

All I can say is welcome to the club...

6 operations, a fused ankle, new hip and a leg an inch shorter than it started is where I am right now. It slowed me down a bit when I was on crutches for almost 3 years, but I still got out fairly regularly.

Now that it is all healed and my mobility is limited, I still get out at least once a week and usually wade fish. I always have my wading staff and I go slow and easy and avoid the deep wading in swift waters that I used to love. I still catch plenty of fish and chalk it all up to life - you never know what you're going to get.

Check out Mike Lawson's Facebook page. He just had surgery on both hands! https://www.facebook.com/mike.lawson.180625

Here are a few shots of me when the bug just got to be too much and I had to get on the water:
Click the image to open in full size.

Hey, I say it is what it is and I deal with it the best I am able. I love life too much to let this stop me. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Kelly.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy has Carpel Tunnel issues and despite having had surgery on both wrists, it still bothers him to the point where he never fishes for more than a half hour a day. Won't paddle his canoe at all.
Hope you have better luck
FlyBum likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

FlyBum a suggestion, cost you about six bucks. Hit a Wally's World in the Pharmacy area you'll an elastic 'half glove' with a wrap bandage that goes around the wrist (Velcro closure). I have use one fairly frequently if I have to do a lot typing. Things work a treat.

Fred

PS: You'll learn to love casting a light 2hander.
FlyBum likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Getting old is not for sissies. I used too fish till I was exhausted now I fish till it hurts. I just thank God I still can do it!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fly Fishing With Health Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Getting old is not for sissies. I used too fish till I was exhausted now I fish till it hurts. I just thank God I still can do it!
So hear you JW. My clue is an old Yellow Lab who is no longer walking up/down the beach or in the water. In 'Dog Years' he's as old as I am.

Fred
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies - it's encouraging.

Sent from Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Jim nails that one

I'll be 59 in November and after the life I've led & enjoyed I figure I'm lucky to be alive. I no longer take risks but every day I wake with enough pains to have me on a regiment of meds. Stubborn sort that I am I take nothing and like Jim I fish till it hurts and then some. After a days like I've had the past 2 weeks of marching miles up creeks and rivers where a trail would be a pipe dream I'm done in at days end but I'll go in the morning.

Tom,

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles and hope you can get fixed up quickly.
mcnerney and FlyBum like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Wobbly lower legs do give me a concern. Have to pay close attention when I walk even on flat ground.But Kelly suggests I'm being a wimp.

Good on Him!
kglissmeyer1 and FlyBum like this.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
All I can say is welcome to the club...

6 operations, a fused ankle, new hip and a leg an inch shorter than it started is where I am right now. It slowed me down a bit when I was on crutches for almost 3 years, but I still got out fairly regularly.

Now that it is all healed and my mobility is limited, I still get out at least once a week and usually wade fish. I always have my wading staff and I go slow and easy and avoid the deep wading in swift waters that I used to love. I still catch plenty of fish and chalk it all up to life - you never know what you're going to get.

Check out Mike Lawson's Facebook page. He just had surgery on both hands! https://www.facebook.com/mike.lawson.180625

Here are a few shots of me when the bug just got to be too much and I had to get on the water:

Hey, I say it is what it is and I deal with it the best I am able. I love life too much to let this stop me. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Kelly.
Kelly: You are definitely my hero! I sure hope I can continue fishing with all the stuff you have had to endure.

Tom: Best wishes for some kind of solution to your wrist issues!
Getting old is definitely not for sissies.

Larry
Hardyreels and FlyBum like this.