The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree172Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 06:14 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How do you bring home the bacon?

Quote:
I just read through this whole post and I see a nice variety of job titles, I guess fishing does that to a man, puts us all on the same level.

I did 6 years active duty in the Air Force as a structural craftsman aka I did construction, most time when I was deployed I was attached to the 10th mtn DIV (army) doing convoys and building FOBs and checkpoints.

After I got out i did a semester at culinary school , found out I didn't like traditional college education and went to work with what I know, manual labor working in a forge shop that makes rolled rings. It was fun, hot, and dangerous work but it paid damn good. I had surgery on my back in July and won't be able to return to work there. So now I'm faced with trying to decide what I want to do with my life. I have no training, no college, I was a knuckle dragger all my life and proud of it. But now I have to find a career that isn't physically taxing on my back, was looking at something in the medical field. Who knows at this point, meanwhile my wife is climbing the corporate ladder at ge and I'm mr. Mom. Which I quickly realized I'm not made for ha.
If you have the Post 911 GI Bill go to college. It'a hell of a deal and you get $2k per month housing allowance during the semester. Good luck.

Last edited by innes; 12-20-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:38 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
If you have the Post 911 GI Bill go to college. It'a hell of a deal and you get $2k per month housing allowance during the semester. Good luck and watch the back.

I actually would only get 845$ in housing allowance bc of the area I live in. That just isn't enough to live on supporting two kids and a wife. But if I do goto a trade school I'll definitely use the GI bill.

Ryan
Old 12-19-2013, 07:47 PM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough

Currently I am a truck driver/general labor guy at a farm chemical/fertilizer company. So much for putting that college degree to good use eh? Oh well, it pays the bills.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I am in distribution for Enterprise Storage (Big disk arrays where companies store their data)

IT Manufacturers are good at R&D , but bad at sales/operations/finance. We help them greatly for a modest piece of the pie. I manage a piece of the national business across U.S. and Canada.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

I tell directional drillers where to go!

These days I am tech support for all our rigs in the Rockies. Presently taht means all rigs from Crosby ND to Trinidad Co call me when they fat finger their computers. Just celebrating my 20th year with this bunch!

Just FYI, I don't actually frack wells! I just make sure the wells are put in the right place,
Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 AM

quickdraw will become famous soon enoughquickdraw will become famous soon enough

I'm a network admin for a small company. That means that I do everything from coding, webmaster, hardware, user support, to replacing lightbulbs... ect. I work 4-10s so it gives me a lot of time off to go camping/fishing. It's a job.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I'm an application engineer for a fortune 500 contracting company in the Kansas city area. I mostly focus on web application and mobile application development.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM

toxicfly is on a distinguished road

I'm a heavy duty diesel mechanic. I work for a pretty big septic company in the nj tristate area. Its not a bad job, don't really bust my hump. Smells like poopoo sometimes.

On the side I also build cars. Guess its more of a hobby mainly because I rarely get paid and when I do most times its in beer.

If it has an engine I like to tinker with it. I currently drive a slammed vw.

Jason
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about

My wife brings the bacon home...

I pretend to bring some bacon home by being a biologist and doing consulting work, but what I really do is spend the money on fly fishing gear and other hobbies...
gt05254, littledavid123 and cab like this.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM

westie25 is on a distinguished road

I program cnc mills. Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
jeepster II likes this.