The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By siege

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 03:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink From 1912 .. most I knew, some 'clueless.'

8th Grade Exam Puts Adults to the Test

By Geetika Rudra
Aug 10, 2013 6:20am
HT old 1912 exam tk 130809 16x9 608 8th Grade Exam Puts Adults to the Test

Courtesy Bullitt County Museum

A museum in Kentucky has unearthed a rare find: an 8th grade exam given to students 100 years ago.

“For us, this is just fascinating,” David Lee Strange, a volunteer at the Bullitt County History Museum, told ABC News. “It puts us in the mindset of 1912.”

The exam spans eight subjects: spelling, reading, arithmetic, grammar, geography, physiology, civil government and history.

“Some people say that the questions are trivial, but the questions relate to what the children at the time would have been familiar with,” Strange said.

For example, there’s a geography query: “Locate the following countries which border each other: Turkey, Greece, Serbia, Montenegro, Romania.”

An 8th grader today may have trouble with that one but “the students back then would have to be familiar with that part of the world,” according to Strange.

Strange explained, “1912 was right around the corner from what would become World War I. Eighteen students in Bullitt County would go on to die in that war.”

The exam also asks students to define the cerebrum and cerebellum, differentiate between copyright and patent rights, and define each part of speech in the English language.

Think you have what it takes to pass the 8th grade? Take a shot at these final exam questions:

How long of a rope is required to reach from the top of a building 40 feet high to the ground 30 feet from the base of a building?

What is a personal pronoun?

Through which waters would a vessel pass in going from England through the Suez Canal to Manila?

Compare arteries and veins as to function. Where is the blood carried to be purified?

During which wars were the following battles fought: Brandywine, Great Meadows, Lundy’s Lane, Antietam, Buena Vista?

Sketch briefly Sir Walter Raleigh, Peter Stuyvesant.

Answers to the exam can be found on the Bullitt County History Museum’s website.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:37 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of
Default Re: From 1912 .. most I knew, some 'clueless.'

I believe kids got a more well rounded education back then. The teachers had a lot fewer students in the classroom, and could spend more time with each pupil.
The parents were interested in their children getting an education, and being ready to face the world and make their own way upon graduation.
The challenges facing students and teachers today are a far cry from what they were prior to WW1. But the challenges today are just as real.
mcnerney and JoJer like this.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From 1912 .. most I knew, some 'clueless.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
I believe kids got a more well rounded education back then. The teachers had a lot fewer students in the classroom, and could spend more time with each pupil.
The parents were interested in their children getting an education, and being ready to face the world and make their own way upon graduation.
The challenges facing students and teachers today are a far cry from what they were prior to WW1. But the challenges today are just as real.
Yes and No? What kids don't get to day is an 'Education' that will actually earn them a living wage. Local High School and all the Sr's have do a 'project' and most (sitting there) were a total waste of time.

One young man 'project' was to build a trailer to haul boats/what ever. 5 really board to death Women as we talked 'welding.' Mig, Tig, Arc, etc. For context, that was one my classes when I got my Degree in Vineyard Management, which is what brought me to So-Oregon.

Kid's welding was exceptional, and I made a few phone calls. He graduated and walked into a $18.00/hour job building drift boats.

Some times I get it right?

fae