The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Need to add body weight; this is a real question!

Couple of months ago, having lunch with two lady friends, and dash to the men's room and 'Gave it all up' in the sink. Someone had to clean up a hell of a mess, but all in there. 'Saw-Bones' has no idea what the hell's going on.

Back on point, in the past two months I've dropped from 186 to 160 and need to get my weight back up. Lunch a couple of days ago and 'The Look,' like not good.

Suggestions on what to eat/supplements to get some weight back on.

And this is a real question!

Fred
Old 08-17-2013, 11:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Need to add body weight; this is a real question!

Pm sent........

ARFE
Old 08-17-2013, 11:51 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm right there with you. I'm on meds that kill my appetite. I just can't eat very much at a sitting or I feel nauseous . It doesn't help that I was always a light eater even before this nonsense. I've gone from a size thirty six to a size thirty two. What I want are foods that pack a ton of calories in a small portion, and what I find is the opposite. Large portions with low calorie counts. I mean heck, its enough to make you look at MREs.

If you want a supplement look at Ensure shakes (you'll find them at any CVS/WalGreens). They don't taste great and they are pricy, but if you choke them down you have a lot of calories. I use them on bad days. I also make smoothies for myself. Put ice in the blender, add a banana, vanilla yogurt and milk. It's what's for breakfast. Add a granola bar and you're good to go.
I also have taken this as an opportunity to indulge myself by cooking lots of heavy French and Italian dishes. I can't get through but a small helping, but with enough cheese, butter, wine, pasta and meat it works. Good luck.

PS If this is a sudden onset thing? Go see another Doc. It might indicate something more serious. I'd get some tests run. I'm not trying to be alarmist, but you might want to get yourself thoroughly checked out.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Need to add body weight; this is a real question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
Pm sent........
Got it and message sent!

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
I'm right there with you. I'm on meds that kill my appetite. I just can't eat very much at a sitting or I feel nauseous . It doesn't help that I was always a light eater even before this nonsense. I've gone from a size thirty six to a size thirty two. What I want are foods that pack a ton of calories in a small portion, and what I find is the opposite. Large portions with low calorie counts. I mean heck, its enough to make you look at MREs.

If you want a supplement look at Ensure shakes (you'll find them at any CVS/WalGreens). They don't taste great and they are pricy, but if you choke them down you have a lot of calories. I use them on bad days. I also make smoothies for myself. Put ice in the blender, add a banana, vanilla yogurt and milk. It's what's for breakfast. Add a granola bar and you're good to go.
I also have taken this as an opportunity to indulge myself by cooking lots of heavy French and Italian dishes. I can't get through but a small helping, but with enough cheese, butter, wine, pasta and meat it works. Good luck.

PS If this is a sudden onset thing? Go see another Doc. It might indicate something more serious. I'd get some tests run. I'm not trying to be alarmist, but you might want to get yourself thoroughly checked out.
Ensure shakes ... just got two 'six pack's,' eat a TV dinner and drink one (started today so no 'feed back,' bad pun intended). That's the hell of being 'single,' even a box of Mac and Cheese with a small bag of Veggies tossed in will take you two days to eat ... and the Yellow Lab will get half out of the bowl.

This is 'You're in deep do-do time.' And I agree with the 'second opinion.'

fae
Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

And no, I'm not kidding.

during the year before my father passed from Pancreatic cancer he got to the point he could barely eat. The doctor gave him stuff to help but it didn't work.

Finally he told my dad "Look, I can't tell you to do this, but if I were you, I would try to get some marijuana".

This was before we passed the medical pot law here in AZ, so through a friend of a friend we managed to get some brought here from one of the shops in CA.

My dad was very LDS. He had never smoked, and had maybe a few glasses of wine in his life, so it was very strange when I had to teach him how to use a bong.

It helped, he didn't get back to a normal appetite because they cancer was working it's evil ****, but he was able to eat much more than he could without it, and he stayed healthy longer than he would have if he would have continued starving.

Last edited by mudbug; 08-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:38 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

We're here for you brother, feel free to vent. Just get that second opinion. It could be nothing, like a case of reflux (one of my problems), or something else. But do get a doc who won't just shrug his shoulders and instead find an annoying one that will treat you like a lab rat and poke and prod till they figure out what's wrong. Me, I know what's wrong, its the pill I have to take. In your case? I'd want an answer.

PS I just read Mudbug's, post. He ain't wrong. I haven't smoked in many years, but it will stimulate the appetite. Ask around. I will all but guarantee a friend or co-worker will know how to score (so much for the war on some drugs), and you will be able to do it safely. Hell, a very yuppie older friend of mine (in his late sixties) had his stuff sent to him by fed ex and paid via paypal. No dark alleys required. Just ask, stress the medical side and you should get the nod. Hell, if your Doc is worth half a damn, they will nod, say nothing, and just drop a piece of paper with a phone number on it.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:44 AM

Hear you, but never took 'drugs' in my life. Well, a couple of Morphine ampules stuck in my lag. "La-La" time. Look back on that and still scared shxtless of 'drugs.' This may be 'TMI.'

fae
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 08-18-2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: change a word
Old 08-18-2013, 01:00 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

thats alot of weight for two months.

Similar happen to me ...Gall Bladder.

TV dinners...MikeyD's???....no wonder.

Fresh fruit...veggies....lean protein.....AND a glass for good red wine before bed.

Just sayin
Old 08-18-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Hear you, but never took 'drugs' in my life. Well, a couple of Morphine ampules stuck in my lag. "La-La" time. Look back on that and still scared shxtless of 'drugs.' This may be 'TMI.'

fae
Pot isn't really a "drug". I can't handle narcotics. Stuff like vicodin makes me nauseous and then I crash for hours. When its been prescribed, I've taken maybe one and then just toughed it out on Tylenol as I'd rather have the pain than the effects of something like Oxy or Vicodin. That stuff scares me too.
But pot? Its like a combination of a cigarette and a six pack. The down side is you have to inhale and hold in hot smoke. I'm not a fan of this which is why I don't smoke anything, cigarettes included, but a bong will cool the smoke down. I'd post a link or two, but the admins would probably have kittens so I'll let you google on your own (think hooka here). Anyway, you'll get a light buzz, like after three beers, you might get a little paranoid, and you definitely shouldn't drive or operate machinery or handle firearms. But basically, treat it the same way you would as if you were going to sit down and kill most of six pack. Do it in your own home and and relax and you're fine. You won't see iguanas crawling out of the carpet or anything. Its not scary stuff. Worst side effect is that you might use the word "dude" in normal conversation, imagine you have some great philosophical insight you need to post and get the munchies. But getting the munchies is the point right? So hie thyself to your friendly neighborhood weed dealer and give it a shot. And for the record, this isn't advice I'd normally give and I haven't smoked in many, many years, but in your case I think its worth a thought.
Just my advice.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:38 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Hi Fred, from all your previous posts about being sick I would first recommend an eval from your doc and maybe get a referral to a dietician. I would also consider if you meet normal height/body weight standard. No I'm not talking about military standards but there are healthy weight averages for your height, whatever that may be. If you are within normal specs and the doc gives you a good bill of health, I would just continue to eat healthy, exercise normally and get plenty of rest. I know you smoke but we don't have to discuss that, your decision. FYI, I caught malaria a while back and lost a lot of weight during the episode(s). Sometimes it takes a while to regain lost weight so don't hurry.

Hey, at least your not fat!!