The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 12:47 AM

skrap is on a distinguished road
Default How do you carry.......?

This thread is not a debate on firearms vs spray so please don't make it that. I respect a fishermans choice to decide what works best for them. This is not about that choice.

My decision it to do one, or both. My philosophy is to always have something on me for protection and safety whether two or four legged critters. Depending upon location I will have spray alone or spray and either my .40S&W or .44mag both with hardcast. I've got the spray and .40S&W holster/carry method down but don't have an adequate holster. I, most likely, will be getting the Double D Guides Choice shoulder rig for my Colt Anaconda as I feel that access to the revolver quickest to deploy.

Here is my question / dilemma. Being new to FF it seems we tend to carry much of our gear on our torso whether in a vest, waist pack, around the neck or shoved in our pockets. We also have to deal with waders and our gear. Much of the gear would need to be readily accessible for use, including the holster and pistol. For you fellas that carry a pistol, what is your method of carry?

I still have a lot of gear to by including what method to carry and hold my fishing tackle. I'm leaning towards a vest but seems it would interfere with a shoulder rig. Waist pack could interfere with a hip holster at any position on the belt. So, how do you carry?

FYI, whether hunting, hiking or just being in the outdoors I tend to carry a lot of gear. Gear generally consists of items directly related to the hobby I am doing at the moment as well as safety and survival gear to allow me to stay in the bush over night if needed in an emergency. Yes, I am the guy who packs checked baggage for a short weekend trip when traveling by airline.

Thanks fellas
Old 08-25-2013, 04:09 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: How do you carry.......?

Access is definitely slower but my small 9mm is in my upper inside vest pocket. Shoulder holster would seem to be your quickest concealed method wearing waders.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM

irons is on a distinguished road

I'm lucky to remember my rod and reel much less my sidearm.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I either carry my glock 23 or glock 27 in a IWB holster if I'm get wading with my hip pack. If I am using my waders and a hip pack I put the glock 27 in the hip pack just without a round chambered and carry a spare mag from my glock 23.

If I'm wet wading a wearing a vest in the backcountry I wear my 4" 44mag on a horizontal shoulder holster under the vest and it works just fine for concealment and accessibility.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

When I do, I prefer a shoulder rig, under my vest for semis...these guys have morphed, through the years from Assualt Systems to Shooting Systems to now this:

Elite Shoulder Holster

I use a cross chest rig for my S&W Mdl. 57, 6"...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Is fly fishing that dangerous in the USA
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
That might be a discussion best held with some of the "weed" growers that inhabit the forests, in this neck of the woods...

PT/TB

Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 AM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
When I do, I prefer a shoulder rig, under my vest for semis...these guys have morphed, through the years from Assualt Systems to Shooting Systems to now this:

Elite Shoulder Holster

I use a cross chest rig for my S&W Mdl. 57, 6"...

PT/TB
PT, looks like a nice rig. Here is the rig I'm looking at getting.

Guides Choice Chest Holster, Original Alaskan Holster

Will get probably get the modular system where the holster itself is interchangeable so I can use the same chest harness with an Anoconda holster and XD40 holster. In the end it looks like I may need to buy the Guides Choice first and then work around it as to how to carry my fishing gear. Probably lot more options for fishing gear storage on the body than adequate holsters.

Due to several state's laws that I have been to (MT, ID so far) it would only be legal for a CA resident to open carry.

To Irons: hehehe, you ust be my long lost brother. Forgetting stuff.......Yep, me too.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
The answer is a simple 'No' Eddie. There are 'places,' think Bears, where it may be a good idea, but those are few and far between. Know two who do carry 'guns,' one on him, the other in his car. My personal choice for 'protection' is a 10 year old fat Yellow Lab.

"Sandy" will lick a 'Perp' to death. Only found myself in an 'uncomfortable situation' twice (?) in the past 10 years. I was wrong in both cases.

Really 'scuffy' looking Guys, but totally enjoyed their company. A river bank is not 'Inner-City' Chagg-ug-ago.

fae

Edit: Sandy's never wrong; a full fuzzball face in some's lap tells all.

Last edited by fredaevans; 08-25-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap View Post
PT, looks like a nice rig. Here is the rig I'm looking at getting.

Guides Choice Chest Holster, Original Alaskan Holster

Will get probably get the modular system where the holster itself is interchangeable so I can use the same chest harness with an Anoconda holster and XD40 holster. In the end it looks like I may need to buy the Guides Choice first and then work around it as to how to carry my fishing gear. Probably lot more options for fishing gear storage on the body than adequate holsters.

Due to several state's laws that I have been to (MT, ID so far) it would only be legal for a CA resident to open carry.

To Irons: hehehe, you ust be my long lost brother. Forgetting stuff.......Yep, me too.
skrap,

Don't forget these...I have them for all my wheels...

Safariland COMP-1 Revolver Speedloader Colt Anaconda Ruger Redhawk S&W

PT/TB