The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

View Poll Results: How do you read?
Traditional Book 13 76.47%
Kindle 9 52.94%
Other e-reader 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default How do you read?

The recent post by jaybo41 on the free e-book from Amazon got me to thinking about how we read books these days. I have a Kindle and an iPad and use them both for reading. The Kindle gets the most use and the iPad if the book has a lot of pictures.
However if the book is on fishing, golf, or anything practical I will always buy the book itself.
What about you guys?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:54 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you read?

Hi Eddie,

This is an interesting discussion, kudos for starting it! I've sent some "rep" your way.

I read both by hard copy and Kindle App on my iPad. I selected Traditional Book (figured that'd be the selection for magazine) and Kindle even though app is on an iPad.

There are some books that I feel are much better to read and reference in person. Usually I'll buy those, but if I see that I can download them for free I do that too. Just like the book I posted.
Eddie O'Neill likes this.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie: I'm kind of like you, I use Kindle on my IPad when I'm working out, love to read books, but I will buy the paper addition if it is something I want to reference.

Larry

Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

I've got several readers on my ipad --Kindle, Apple Books, and Nook. I usually only read for entertainment on the ipad. If its something serious I usually only read that in paper. I also pick up a lot of used paperback fiction. They're a lot cheaper than Kindle books (unless they're free). I'm also very fortunate to be in a university system that gives me access to almost any library in the U.S. Getting paper editions is pretty easy though sometimes there's a long wait. I've been able to get editions of classic fly fishing books that are not locally available from as far afield as Montana, Michigan, and New Hampshire....
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I usually read from the Kindle app on my tablet. I'm fickle in my reading habits, and like having a variety of reading materials at hand.
Reference books ? Hard backs.
Magazines ? Print and electronic.
Dean Koontz novels ? Paperback and close at hand. Often read in one sitting.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what others said above, different tools for different jobs
Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I read as good as I spell...poorly

On a slightly more serious note, I cant read on the e-readers. I much prefer paper copies to read, easier on my eyes. My wife loves her tablet and reader though.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I stare at screens too much. I read books - paper in the hand. Computer screen at work, smartphone, iPads and laptops at home. Give me a book any day of the week and twice on Sunday.