The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 07:43 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Old songs rattling around inside your head?

Ever drive home from work and and start humming a song you can't figure out where it came from? I'm talking something really obscure that there is no way that anyone else in an office full of mid 20 somethings would have ever heard so you know damn well it didn't come from any of them? Today I was stuck in traffic humming a song vaguely familiar when all of a sudden I blurted out "Pablo Picasso was never called ...hole" Then I just started singing a song I haven't heard or thought about in a good 25 years. Modern Lovers Pablo Picasso. When I got home I had to dig it up on YouTube, what a wonderful guitar riff. Pure genius. Ever have one of those moments? Makes you wonder if in 20-25 years some knucklehead will be sitting in traffic and just start singing some Miley Cyrus, I doubt it.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Old songs rattling around inside your head?

It's so hard to put the words 'one more azzh*le cuts me off I'm gonna have homicide charges filed against me' to music.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Holy Cow,

I just turned on the computer and saw your post immediately as I was humming "Moonlight and Lovesongs, never out of date". Have no idea where it came from and haven't heard it for decades.

They must have changed ingredients in the Chem trails and ramped HAARP back up.
fysh and noreaster like this.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Yup. Along with all the flack, chaff, and assorted nuts and bolts rattling in around in my head, music pops up at odd times. Tunes that were popular long before I was born. Songs I know, but dont know why I know 'em. I had half the guys in the office drumming on their desk tops, as I whistled the tune from the St.Louis Blues. Full version, all the extra jazz riffs from some trumpet solo only I can hear.
And then there's Benny Goodman's Sing, Sing, Sing. It haunts me... and I like that.
noreaster likes this.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
"Pablo Picasso was never called ...hole" Then I just started singing a song I haven't heard or thought about in a good 25 years. Modern Lovers Pablo Picasso. When I got home I had to dig it up on YouTube, what a wonderful guitar riff. Pure genius
Good song, I'd forgotten about that one, thanks.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:04 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
It's so hard to put the words 'one more azzh*le cuts me off I'm gonna have homicide charges filed against me' to music.
Oddly, listening to one's favorite music (preferably mellow or easy listening) while driving actually has been shown to reduce road rage.

Mellow Music May Help Stave Off Road Rage

My favorites: JJ Cale, Marley, Blitzen Trapper, The Steel Wheels, Sam Roberts, Jaland Crossland, (thanks SdDryFly), Ry Cooder, Band of Horses, Blue Highway, Keith Sewell, to name a few.

As far as an old one that got me hummin' and reminiscing while driving? How about this one from 1980?

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Yup. Along with all the flack, chaff, and assorted nuts and bolts rattling in around in my head, music pops up at odd times. Tunes that were popular long before I was born. Songs I know, but dont know why I know 'em. I had half the guys in the office drumming on their desk tops, as I whistled the tune from the St.Louis Blues. Full version, all the extra jazz riffs from some trumpet solo only I can hear.
And then there's Benny Goodman's Sing, Sing, Sing. It haunts me... and I like that.
Diggin' it!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:33 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Ever since the recent Miley Cyrus debacle and Rolling Stone Magazine's raves over how great it was, I have been hearing Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show singing about getting their smiling faces on the cover of the Rolling Stone!

Gonna buy five copies for my mother!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:52 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I've got so much of that stuff rattling around the old gourd: My dad's Tex Ritter, Jim Reeves, Hank Snow, Charlie Pride. My brother (ten years older than me) I inherited all his Limelighters records. My sister on production staff for every musical production while she was in high school so I've got Bye Bye Birdie, The Music Man, West Side Story, South Pacific. Then all the sixties and some seventies of my own echoing in my head. Most of this I have on vinyl, yet. Maybe it's not so surprising I quit listening to new stuff (except F. Zappa) by the mid 70's. Most of it sucked and I was "full".

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 09-14-2013, 02:13 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Very cool dudes....I catch them at the Smokey Mt brewery when they are in town.

Enjoy.......

Ohhhh...and these guys can PARTTAY.......
Old 09-14-2013, 02:40 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

No contest:

Roberta Flack: 'First time I saw your face."

Turn off the lights and just listen.....

First time "I saw her face' was 1 June, 1984. At 20 years she changed her mind. I never have, 'The One."

First time "I kissed her lips" was 4 November, 1984.

fae
pa dave likes this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 09-14-2013 at 02:56 AM.