The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default As someone that loves 'history' this was a very cool read.

Reality check on King Solomon's mines: Right era, wrong kingdom - NBC News.com
mridenour and roguebum like this.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As someone that loves 'history' this was a very cool read.

Fred: Interesting reading, must have been hell on earth for those slaves working the copper mines.

Larry

Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Fred: Interesting reading, must have been hell on earth for those slaves working the copper mines.

Larry
Many things come to mind (history) about this part of the World. But in a nut shell, nothing has changed in 5,000 years.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Many things come to mind (history) about this part of the World. But in a nut shell, nothing has changed in 5,000 years.
You lost me on that statement Fred.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:41 PM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Presumably slaves... working in (copper) mines? Check out child labour in Chilean copper and Zimbabwean diamond mines.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
RR, just turn on your TV and watch the current news. Many, many years back I had to go to Beer-root (these guys could really drink-skip the Religion) and did honest business. None ever did a thing that made me raise an eyebrow.

Last trip? Fellow had a mortar tube on his roof top and would 'Excuse me for a moment' and fired off a couple of shells. I/we/bank never went back there again.

So RR what interesting life experiences have you had?

fae
Old 09-06-2013, 04:14 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

If I remember right, the Edomites were centered around the south side of the Dead Sea. If these mines were worked around the era of King Solomon, I highly doubt they actually belonged to him.

He was known as a political king who formed alliances with his neighbors through the marrying of their daughters (700 wives & 300 concubines), where his father David was a military king who was in battle for the extent of his reign.

His political allegiance with the Edomites may have afforded him access to the mines but not ownership.

Besides, it's been a while since I read the book, but wasn't King Solomon's Mines (H. Rider Haggard) about mines buried somewhere in the jungles of Africa?

I do see what Fred may be saying in that this area has been in turmoil for about as long as we have written record of it.

My two cents - separate the wheat from the chaff
Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM

"I do see what Fred may be saying in that this area has been in turmoil for about as long as we have written record of it."

Yup. We've in one 'war over there' for close to 10 years and still loosing. Korea has been going on (no shots for years thank God!) for fifty. But if the nit-wit who runs the place had a bad day???? That war ended with an 'Armistices,' not a lets not do this again.

If you don't know what an 'Armistices' is, look it up ... I'll save you the trouble. Just a 'seace fire,' nothing more, nothing less.