The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default I hope it was worth every penny.

Rainbow Gathering costs U.S. Forest Service $573,000
Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: I hope it was worth every penny.

What are Rainbow People? Hippie Wannabees?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:30 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't call them Hippie wannabes. I think they are the real deal .

Is there a beef here? I am not a fan of the Rainbow Family, by any means but as far as I know they are citizens of the US and they communicated with the USFS and came to an agreement prior to the gathering. During a gathering of 10000+ people only two arrests were made and 49 tickets were written. Also, 399 warnings with 405 "incident reports" were made. Seems like it was a pretty peaceful event.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I have no issue with my tax dollars supporting proper and peaceful use of public lands.

I know there are horror stories from other areas regarding the state of the forest after previous gatherings. On the other hand they are also given credit occasionally for leaving places clean. And I can talk for hours about the condition of the forest left by, and the "peaceful" nature of, citizens who are not Rainbow Family.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

We have a had a few of these in Western CO.

If these folks would spend a bit more money they may actually get welcomed. But the last one was a mess, the forest was trashed, local mom and pops were dealing with shoplifting from a large percentage of the folks and they have a you owe us this spot attitude.

Other than those issues they are all nice and sweet folks.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Some of the earlier gatherings caused a lot of problems, especially as they grew and got out of hand. They've been at this a long time now and have learned to be more responsible if they want their permits.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 09-24-2013, 02:46 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Some of the earlier gatherings caused a lot of problems, especially as they grew and got out of hand. They've been at this a long time now and have learned to be more responsible if they want their permits.
Reminds me of driving through a small town in Eastern Washington and there was "Biker" get together. Two young kids (Son was 1 and Daughter 2 if memory serves) and we had to stop and feed them and get some food our selves. These Guys were not the kind you'd want to meet on a dark night someplace.

This one HUGE GUY (6.5 and 300 pounds) comes up to the table and asks if he could sit down ... like I'm going to say 'No.'

"I have a son and haven't seen him in years, I loved feeding him, do you mind?''

Two year old (Daughter) in his lap and spoon feeding the other. Ended up with like five or six of these folks at our table.

End game? He was a LA Police Officer who gave me his 'card.'

"You have any problems on this trip, you call me."

Still have the business card.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:12 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

As mentioned most people are Good Law abiding people who like to get out with Family Friends & occasionally have a good time.
It doesn't pay to say anything out of line which usually upsets The Apple Cart as you really don't know who people are or their associations even though many people are very good at getting people "Offside" also the bottom line is they spend money which helps other people & communities however sometimes The Law enforcement can be a little heavy handed.
Then again some people have trouble written all over them & unfortunately trouble follows them.
One guy I know it didn't matter where he went a few years back it wouldn't take long & you could always bet everything would end in a Brawl.
Brian.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Other than the 10K hippies trashing the forest I found something a bit more interesting.

This event took 30 forest service employees to administer the event. Salaries for the 30 workers was $154k+. For the three week event that is over $5300 each in salary. Hmmmmm, yep, more govt waste at it's finest.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Reminds me of driving through a small town in Eastern Washington and there was "Biker" get together. Two young kids (Son was 1 and Daughter 2 if memory serves) and we had to stop and feed them and get some food our selves. These Guys were not the kind you'd want to meet on a dark night someplace.

This one HUGE GUY (6.5 and 300 pounds) comes up to the table and asks if he could sit down ... like I'm going to say 'No.'

"I have a son and haven't seen him in years, I loved feeding him, do you mind?''

Two year old (Daughter) in his lap and spoon feeding the other. Ended up with like five or six of these folks at our table.

End game? He was a LA Police Officer who gave me his 'card.'

"You have any problems on this trip, you call me."

Still have the business card.
Don't know about that side of the country but on this side of the 'sippi, lots and lots of bikers/groups have toys for tots rides, fund raising rides like poker runs, etc., etc., to help out a fellow biker or just a friend of a friend who is staring at some big medical bills due their own or their kids cancer treatment, etc. I've been to Daytona Bike Week a few times, Myrtle Beach as well, never had an issue with any other bikers. Most will help out, give you the shirt off their back, ride back 50 miles to get their truck and trailer to help a biker whose bike is broken down on the side of the road. I've stopped a few times to see if someone needed some help, and some have stopped to see if I needed help as well. Its a 'brotherhood" to some extent, just like flyfishing, or hunters. You can't judge a book by the cover.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

They should be required to pay a deposit and the cost of clean-up or any citations be deducted from said deposit.

Dave