The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Case Knives on clearance at Gander Mt.

Gander Mt, at least the ones near me, are clearing out some of their Case Cutlery inventory... I picked up a a medium Stockman in Amber Bone SS for $25 and a mini Muskrat in Red Bone CV for $29. They had some other pretty cool patterns, I was pretty tempted by the Trapper in Greeen Bermuda Bone, but I already have one in Orange Harvest, and was looking for something(s) more pocket friendly. Those prices seem to be round about 40% off.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Case Knives on clearance at Gander Mt.

One of the last old U.S. knife makers still making them in the U.S.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have a few and really like Case. I'll admit though that my carry blades are either Benchmade (Axis) or Gerber Quick Draw. But I do like the classics.

Ever look through this? Let's Talk About Knives.....................

Lots of blades there...........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-28-2013, 05:43 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

Hadn't stumbled on that thread yet.

I have a couple of small liner lock folders that I've carried off and on for years (and some bigger ones that pretty much just stay in a drawer). I find, however, that some people get intimidated by even vaguely "tactical" looking knives. I've had a number of experiences with some friends, an ex-girlfriend and a couple of family members where I've lent them a liner lock to do whatever cutting task they were doing and they were visibly uncomfortable using it, and even more uncomfortable trying to close it and not knowing how.

A couple of times in particular this involved me lending out my Kershaw Vapor (wrote Leek the first time, I was wrong), which I used to pretty much EDC, a very un-intimidating knife to my eye that still flustered people.

I also work at a university where there are clearly posted "No Weapons" signs all over the place. Now, in most jurisdictions the 2 7/8" blade on my Vapor would not be considered a weapon, but the state of Wisconsin does not have a standard definition of when a knife becomes a weapon, so it's left up to local jurisdictions... and, from what I've read, sometimes with a lack of guidance LEOs just decide to hassle folks (presumably very rare, but I've heard tell). Generally when I'm going about my business on campus there would be no reason for an LEO to bother me, but I can just imagine a situation where I'm standing in front of a class and need to sharpen a pencil, or sitting in my office opening a package, and having some student walk by and having the kind of knee-jerk reaction that my ex had on a couple of occasions. In that kind of situation I think it would be easier to explain how my pretty little Muskrat isn't a weapon than to explain how my "scary" little liner locking Vapor isn't one.

Last edited by caberguy; 09-28-2013 at 06:14 AM.