The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 10:38 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Don't expect to fish in the ocean

From Breitbart:

Quote:
Just before the weekend, the National Park Service informed charter boat captains in Florida that the Florida Bay was "closed" due to the shutdown. Until government funding is restored, the fishing boats are prohibited from taking anglers into 1,100 square-miles of open ocean. Fishing is also prohibited at Biscayne National Park during the shutdown.

The Park Service will also have rangers on duty to police the ban... of access to an ocean. The government will probably use more personnel and spend more resources to attempt to close the ocean, than it would in its normal course of business.

This is governing by temper-tantrum. It is on par with the government's ham-fisted attempts to close the DC WWII Memorial, an open-air public monument that is normally accessible 24 hours a day...
Article in Miami Herald Federal shutdown shuts down Keys guides - Florida Keys - MiamiHerald.com

The guides, naturally, have to abide by all kingly edicts, since it is the king's minions who issues them "permits" to allow them to fish.

Hopefully, not many other people have heard of it, and the feds won't have sufficient signage pounded into the ocean floor encompassing 1,100 square to post it properly from a legal standpoint. So every fisherman or boater apprehended could say they knew nothing about it.

What this means to the flats guides and redbone tournament, is no fish or clients with the wind out of the east (Atlantic ocean) at 20-30 for the duration of the insanity.

Welcome to the first American Reich.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:39 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Don't expect to fish in the ocean

Yikes! When do the walls start going up to keep you guys in down there?
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Ah'm from the fed'ral gub'mint and ah'm here to he'p you.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:33 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

wait...they closed the ocean because of the shutdown?

Are the interstate highways closed too? It's as logical as closing the ocean...
popperfly likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
wait...they closed the ocean because of the shutdown?

Are the interstate highways closed too? It's as logical as closing the ocean...
Let's don't give them any ideas.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:52 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Let's don't give them any ideas.
never mind...don't need to get banned

Last edited by mikel; 10-06-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: see above :)
Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Only in America

Kim.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:28 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Washington should be blocked off from travel till its fixed stop all traffic coming out or into same for airports. BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE !
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Half of us (I am DOD) are going back tomorrow. They'll slowly squirm out of this predicament and open the ocean back up.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Unbelievable!! Never realized the government owned the ocean! Or the bay ! So I guess when I fished the Delaware the other day when there was no Rangers on duty I broke the law. And the surf off Fire Island National Seashore as well! I'm turning myself in!
Seriously I hope they compensate the guides and charter guys for lost wages for the closing ,something so ridiculous!
waterfordcreek likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser