The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default The "Heroes" Among Us...

In my most recent entry into the thread, "I Met Myself Last Night..." I quoted a phrase from the late Montgomery Jackson that read, "Heroes are everyday people who go out of their way to do something for others every day..." And, I closed out the latest entry with this one question to all of my "fishing cronies" here on the forum...

Who has inspired you in your life, and who were/are YOUR heroes?

The floor, as they say, is yours, everyone...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 10-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Heroes" Among Us...

Jerry: This is an easy one for me, I've said it before but I'll say it again, for everything you have been through and for everything you have given back to the cancer community, you are definitely at the top of my list of HEROES!!!! Keep up the good work that you do, you are touching the hearts of hundreds of youngsters and their families!

Larry
von behr, theboz, siege and 1 others like this.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I'll second that one Larry! Very special person!'

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

And I will add my Dad and my son for their ethics and standards! I only hope that I have done half of what those two have shown me!
siege and grtlksmarlin like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-08-2013, 05:56 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Guys,

I am truly touched by your sentiment, and I thank you for it. Truth be known, however, I'm just a guy who's been blessed to have beaten cancer well beyond the odds and been able to give a little something back. And, I've been fortunate enough to have met some great folks along the road that is my life, including the outstanding kids that have comprised the loose-knit groups known as "my kids." It's been my honor to have spent my winter months teaching them how to wrap a hook...

And, to all... Let's hear about your "heroes." They can be grandfathers, fathers, uncles, fellow fly-wranglers, writers who've influenced, etc., etc. The category is wide open...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 10-08-2013, 11:56 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

That would be my wife, I truly believe The Lord has blessed me with a good job, just to support her helping those whom The Lord has placed in her path. Not talking about giving money to those with there hands stuck out, she just knows when it's a single mom agonizing over spending money to purchase backpacks for her kids in school. We both see the same little girl coming out of school with head down and wearing worn clothes, nothing registered with me, but the next day she mentions to the girls mom that she has clothes that no longer fit her daughter and she should see if any might fit her little girl. The clothes are new with the tags clipped off and wadded in the box to look used. And the amazing part...The next day that same little girl who walked with her head down now has her head up and is smiling to the world, just beats all I have ever seen.

I pity the fool that makes her mad and that's why I have so much self pity but without a doubt she is my hero.

Dave
mcnerney, von behr, siege and 2 others like this.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Warton Funk, a retired One Star General, on my first 'real full' job out of the Military. A 'Mentor,' and I retired (different positions over the years) as an Ex. VP.

First was "Mr. Coles,' a Scot in his late 60's. Ocean Falls, BC and he'd come over and have Mom pack a few bits of clothing and into his boat and motor up to the mouth of the Bella Coola River. Waxed canvas tent and a bit of food for the week. We caught the rest out of the river. Breakfast was a huge 'Pancake' and a couple of eggs. Lunch/Dinner was a large chuck of fresh Salmon or Steelhead and cut up spuds fried in butter.

But when it rained, God could it rain. Fellow could build a fire in a bucket of water. One time it was even 'too much' for his skills and we sat in the tent for two-three days eating raw fish and uncooked veggies. Rain pounding down and wind blowing like an SOB.**

Mom/Dad were not 'pleased' when he got me home (bad way of saying that). Apparently they had the RCMP and Canadian Coast Guard out looking for the two of us.

fae

** Read to him from one of my school books.
mcnerney and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Fred brings up a very good point, in that "true heroes" are those who stop long enough to take the time to teach... For me, that group would include my grandfather, his fishing/hunting partner of many years, Doc Holship, my own father, and of course, the late Montgomery Jackson. In his journals regarding my life, he's teaching me still from somewhere beyond the stars.

In the literary world, I've met or read men who became "my heroes" because they excelled at their craft, transported me to places I've never been, and started me on a path that I still walk today-- Gene Hill, Corey Ford, Dana Lamb, Ernest Schwiebert, Gordon MacQuarrie, George Bird Evans, and a host of other writers.

On a much more intense and personal level, my "heroes" would have to be my doctors, "my kids" from the tying classes, our two late daughters, youngest daughter Jesse, and my long-suffering wife, The Speaker of the House-- aka Debbi. Collectively, and combined with my fishing cronies, they all rank as "heroes" for having had the stamina to put up with me this long...
Old 07-12-2014, 02:17 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

I was running a search for another topic today and came across this thread from before I joined. It's an interesting topic to me in that I've always looked up to my dad in a way, he's a hard working man who when I was younger worked 18 hr days to feed our family. The flip side of that of course is that he didn't teach me much about anything and when he did try he didn't have the patience for it.

My one grandfather injured his head in the army (hit his forehead on the cement from being too drunk) and the other has an extreme drug problem and has been in and out of jail his whole life so I never really had a male role model to connect with. I'm realizing more and more how much this has affected me in my everyday life.

Anyways, the true heroes of mine our some of my friends who never made it home from the pointless war that we fought in or who have returned home not whole either emotionally or physically.

Ryan
Old 07-12-2014, 03:24 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
I was running a search for another topic today and came across this thread from before I joined. It's an interesting topic to me in that I've always looked up to my dad in a way, he's a hard working man who when I was younger worked 18 hr days to feed our family. The flip side of that of course is that he didn't teach me much about anything and when he did try he didn't have the patience for it.

My one grandfather injured his head in the army (hit his forehead on the cement from being too drunk) and the other has an extreme drug problem and has been in and out of jail his whole life so I never really had a male role model to connect with. I'm realizing more and more how much this has affected me in my everyday life.

Anyways, the true heroes of mine our some of my friends who never made it home from the pointless war that we fought in or who have returned home not whole either emotionally or physically.

Ryan
Ryan, the 'Grand Parent' you may have missed are all here. A key stoke away or ask for a phone number. I have three that I talk to on a regular basis; and some of those conversations are a 'dump a bucket.'

But who safer than me? And many others who will take what ever amount of time it takes? And then some.

As Sea Folk would say: "A safe Harbor." Dumb as it may sound, my old Yellow Lab- and a good cuddle/nap- will wash away what might have been a really shxtie day.

Stock market and I 'bet wrong;' large brown eyes asking (save for what's on paper) what did you really loose?' Real answer was (overall) zip.

Doggie knows best, Me thinks. Me thinks.
grtlksmarlin and repperson29 like this.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:16 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Fred,

I've been known to bother a few guys here about my problems or seek advice and I'm great flu they take the time to write well thought out replies and give me the time of day so to speak.

The greatest things the male figures in my life have taught me is to drink in moderation or you'll end up like them ha.

Ryan
fredaevans, siege and grtlksmarlin like this.