The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bronco's move to 6/0 !

Dan could throw alright but I always saw him as a whiner. Yelling at the receivers or searching for some reason why the game was lost. He was good but he was no Jim Kelly Dan didn't stick around long enough to become a super star but he had a whole lot of 400 yard games.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-14-2013, 10:33 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

A classic ...in Elway's rookie season during a preseason game he approached the line of scrimmage and lined up behind the guard. He had everybody confused on the field and the whole town sighed "OH BOY".

Too bad Elway was coached under conservative coach Dan Reeve's or the record books would have looked quite a bit different. Reeve's just wouldn't turn John loose.

Elway did some fly fishing. There's evidence in Joe Butler's book "Big Trout on Flies". A picture of JE and Jim Walls gearing up in the parking lot up at the Blue River. Elway also did some baseball. He was going to sit out after contract negotiations with Baltimore went nowhere and take a space in the out field for the Yankees. Rumor had it ....he was the next Mantle.

Scuttlebutt in Denver had the Broncos after Joe Montana at the end of his career. Montana was my all time QB. I watched the Cotton bowl back in the late '70s and Montana took Notre Dame from behind in an amazing fourth quarter scoring binge to beat Houston by a point. First half put me to sleep but the finish had me thinking I'd just seen the best football game I'd ever watched....and it still might be.

Manning's the "whole team and nothing but the team" now. He's great ! Too bad we didn't have him around for a career.

6 and oh ....not bad.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:24 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Dan could throw alright but I always saw him as a whiner. Yelling at the receivers or searching for some reason why the game was lost. He was good but he was no Jim Kelly Dan didn't stick around long enough to become a super star but he had a whole lot of 400 yard games.
Dan could throw alright??? Fouts or Marino?

I don't recall too many in Fouts league during his time. I remember so many 48-45 Chargers thriller games which wasn't too common back then. They might have been something with a defense.

One thing is for sure in my mind. You can't fairly compare Unitas to Elway to Manning etc. The game has just changed too much.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Calftail,

Speaking of the late game 'come from behind' types. That is why I mentioned Frank Reich, back in 1993 (I think) I was at the Isaac Walton Skeet Range near Newport News VA. doing a little shooting. The Bill's were being thrashed by the Oilers in the AFC wildcard and Kelly got knocked out of the game. Frank was QB and at the half it was Huston 28 - Buffalo 3. It looked bad, very bad. The third quarter didn't promise hope because within seconds it was Huston 35 Buff 3.....................

The grounds man called my round and I went out into the cold drizzle to break some clays feeling quite sure I would not miss much. We had some new shooters and the round went slowly. By the time I got back into the warmth of the clubhouse there was great commotion around the TV set and it was standing room only.

I ask as I copped a cup of hot 'Joe' what was going on and the fellow serving said, "Buffalo is making a game of it".

I watched the remaining time of the third and forth quarters as Frank pulled the second biggest comeback in history. It was the biggest in NFL history but the announcers began talking about who this guy was. It seems that Frank Reich led the University of Maryland in a 31 - 0 half time blow out to a 42 - 40 win over the Miami Hurricanes back in the day. It was nothing short of amazing to watch as the Bills ended up winning that game.

Although I no longer have TV and so don't spend time watching football, I was able to see some very memorable moments in years past.
calftail likes this.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Montana was my all time QB. I watched the Cotton bowl back in the late '70s and Montana took Notre Dame from behind in an amazing fourth quarter scoring binge to beat Houston by a point
while sick with the flu
Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Ard, I don't do much tv either but I put the Denver game online and follow live, KOA radio........Newsradio 850 KOA - Denver: Broncos, Rockies & Buffs Station | Listen Live | iHeartRadio

if you ever get the itch.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks, if I'm home I'll do this!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I'm a Peyton fan from way back.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
while sick with the flu
Yeah he was sick wasn't he. Did you see the game?

http://media.attcottonbowl.com/resou...ssic-Recap.pdf
Old 10-14-2013, 02:51 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Yeah he was sick wasn't he. Did you see the game?
No, but I live in Joe country