The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By flyfisher117

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 06:30 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default couple fishing legal questions for salmon/steelhead guys

#1: Wasnt sure if this was the correct section just figured this was the best place. So I am starting up steelhead fishing this year. I have my current fishing license and steelhead permit. Some of the waters I will be fishing also contain salmon. I do not have a salmon permit.

If I catch a salmon can I legally get my picture taken with it? No massive photo shoots just a quick picture with the fish the release it back into the water. Only reason I am asking is because I dont really want to get a ticket and loose hunting/fishing rights.

So if I had a chinook on the line, picked it up took a quick picture with it then released it with a game warden watching can I get a ticket? Even though I am targeting steelies and have my valid steelhead permit. I would like to believe that F&G arent bored enough to ticket for something as small a that but I always like to be cautious.

#2: Say you had a wild steelhead die on you. I am sure the chances are very low to none but a fish died or got injured so bad it was close to death (hook damaging the gills bad enough). You cant keep the wild fish, at least where I am. Do you push the dead fish out into the water or release the injured fish and hope it lives or do you give them to the fish and game?

Dont want to get a ticket for "wasting" game fish but at the same time I dont want a ticket for having a wild fish in my possesion.

Thanks all, I have tried getting in contact with a local officer but I am not having any luck so I was hoping someone here could help me.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: couple fishing legal questions for salmon/steelhead guys

I don't know all the regs where you are but on the dying of a no kill fish I can answer. We had a nice one bleed out this fall and I had to let it drift away. Very disturbing but had to be done. Like a dead salmon that big trout will become part of the cycle, just way before its time. I would not carry a wild rainbow / steelhead trout in an area where their retention is prohibited even if I intended to hand it to our regional biologist.

If your state requires a salmon stamp to fish them I would just bite the bullet and get one. As for pictures: unless the law states not to remove the fish from water you can grab a photo. If they must be left in water, no problem, take picture there.

Ard
fredaevans and mridenour like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for a chunk of the PNW. You hook/land and going to release fish (for what ever reason) YOU DO NOT TAKE HIM out of the water. Not even to put him/her on Beach rocks for the 'Hero Picture.'

See those photo's and I cringe.

fae
oarfish likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

Thanks all! Yea it doesnt feel right just letting them go even if they do go back into the cycle but I just wanted to check and see what everyone thought.

Our Regs dont really say much about catch and release. It just says that it is unlawful to persue salmon/steelhead without the respective permits. It doesnt say anything about removing them from the water.

I wont beach a fish, any fish, unless I plan on harvesting them and dont have a net or other gear. So far I have landed a decent sized chinook and all I did was pull it up into the shallows and remove the hook. Enough water to support its weight and allow me to get right up with it, but not so little that it was banging its self up on rocks. I wasnt planning on catching a chinook that far up the river this fall so thats what made me wonder if I would get in trouble for taking a picture with one even if I didnt have the permit.
The Salmon are only in season from Sept 1 - Oct 30. Ill have to see what the F&G says if I can get a hold of them.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Don't get me wrong, a quick lift prior to the release is cool by me, even shallow water shots. Some fish are memorable and we want a picture, I have some that I regret but none where I actually took the fish onto shore and photoed it. Those, like Fred said 'make me cringe'

Generally if you are properly licensed and doing C&R fishing you have very to worry about unless the river is closed to fishing.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

One of the more interesting conversations I had some time back (for context, here in Oregon its the Oregon State Police who do the river patrols) dealt with the type of gear you were using.

You don't need a punch card to fish for trout, but you do for Steelhead. Officer will make a choice if the 'gear' your fishing with is appropriate for the license. You don't need an 8wt rod to fish for 12" trout ..... although with 'trout gear' you still could hook a Steelhead.

Just need to turn him loose. I think (without looking) that anything over 18" is considered to be a Steelhead if in a river or stream.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
One of the more interesting conversations I had some time back (for context, here in Oregon its the Oregon State Police who do the river patrols) dealt with the type of gear you were using.

You don't need a punch card to fish for trout, but you do for Steelhead. Officer will make a choice if the 'gear' your fishing with is appropriate for the license. You don't need an 8wt rod to fish for 12" trout ..... although with 'trout gear' you still could hook a Steelhead.

Just need to turn him loose. I think (without looking) that anything over 18" is considered to be a Steelhead if in a river or stream.

Thanks, I forgot that sheriffs will do a lot of license checks. Im sure a state patrol would too.
Can anyone really say that based on the lure/fly/jig/bait you are using you are targeting salmon and not steelhead? I was told salmon generally take the brighter pinks and flashy colors and steelhead generally take the darker purples and blacks but even then I am sure both will take anything given their mood and oportunity. I do have some lures that were made specifically for salmon in my tackle box. They arent even legal size to use here in Idaho but I figured they would make great musky lures. Might want to take them out for fishing in salmon/steelie waters. I got them when I younger on a trip to Alaska.

Idaho says a steelhead is a rainbow trout in certain waters over 20" in length. Im sure Oregon and Washington label them pretty close to the same.