I get so many small leftover pieces of amazing wood, it just piles up and their mostly too small to encorperate into my Flygrain products. So I have been doing a ton of research on knives. I bought my first knife blank and desided to make scales with some Buckeye Burl I had left over.
Heres the platform
I fileted the burl on my bandsaw to discover what might be usable scales.
These should work!
I rough cut them just a bit larger than the knife tang and scored the back side for better adhesion to the steel tang
These scales need to be stabilized. I put them in the vacuum chamber with wood stabilizer and rocks to keep them submerged. as the vacuum removes the air, you can se the stabilizer fiz. When the fizzing stops, the wood has been completely penetrated by the stabilizer. i let them soak for another hour.
Lay em out to dry.
There were a couple incursions that needed filling. I decided to do this with a decorative liquid inlay called Inlace. So I added a few man made incursions to make the inlay a little more pronounced.
Filling with Inlace. this was a multi step process as there are holes too fill on every edge.
Here the scales have been epoxied to the knife blank. this steel blank came with star drive screws to fasten the scales. I tossed those and used 3/16" stainless pins for a more traditional look.
After taking the wood down to the shape of the tang on the bench sander, it was time to start the shaping on the drum.
then the gruling task of hand sanding. 120-220-320-400-600-1000-1500
The rewards of the finished product were well worth the work! I am extatic with the results!
I finished the Buckeye Burl with several coats of hand rubbed, penatrating tung oil and then a wax polish buffed in with 1500 grit wet/dry paper. It feels just like glass!