The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default A knife is born.

I get so many small leftover pieces of amazing wood, it just piles up and their mostly too small to encorperate into my Flygrain products. So I have been doing a ton of research on knives. I bought my first knife blank and desided to make scales with some Buckeye Burl I had left over.

Heres the platform

Click the image to open in full size.

I fileted the burl on my bandsaw to discover what might be usable scales.

These should work!

I rough cut them just a bit larger than the knife tang and scored the back side for better adhesion to the steel tang

These scales need to be stabilized. I put them in the vacuum chamber with wood stabilizer and rocks to keep them submerged. as the vacuum removes the air, you can se the stabilizer fiz. When the fizzing stops, the wood has been completely penetrated by the stabilizer. i let them soak for another hour.

Lay em out to dry.

There were a couple incursions that needed filling. I decided to do this with a decorative liquid inlay called Inlace. So I added a few man made incursions to make the inlay a little more pronounced.

Filling with Inlace. this was a multi step process as there are holes too fill on every edge.

Here the scales have been epoxied to the knife blank. this steel blank came with star drive screws to fasten the scales. I tossed those and used 3/16" stainless pins for a more traditional look.

After taking the wood down to the shape of the tang on the bench sander, it was time to start the shaping on the drum.

then the gruling task of hand sanding. 120-220-320-400-600-1000-1500

The rewards of the finished product were well worth the work! I am extatic with the results!

I finished the Buckeye Burl with several coats of hand rubbed, penatrating tung oil and then a wax polish buffed in with 1500 grit wet/dry paper. It feels just like glass!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A knife is born.

Wow, that looks like a lot of painstaking work but it certainly turned out beautiful, congrats!

Larry
jbird likes this.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

That knife looks incredible Jay!
jbird likes this.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Wow ! Nice piece of work. Do I see some small trout and bird knives in your product line up ? Maybe in a nice fitted wood presentation box to match....Hmmmmm…….
Keep experimenting and growing, Jay. Your craftsmanship is continues to develop. I sure like what you are producing !
jbird likes this.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: A knife is born.

Amazing work, Jay! Thanks for taking us through the step-by-step process. I really learned a lot from your post.

-Eric
thewalker1013 and jbird like this.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:52 PM

tx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of light

I'll start the bidding at $20
stl_geoff and jbird like this.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

You are truly a true craftsman. That's some unbelievable work! Nicely done!
fredaevans and jbird like this.

Last edited by ted4887; 11-13-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 11-13-2013, 12:01 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Maybe in a nice fitted wood presentation box to match !
I do have something that I'm working on that is just a bit "outside the box" I'll post a picture if I can pull it off.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement! It really is motivating!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:10 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

That's awesome!! I love knives, I need something similar to that for........I need something similar to that.
jbird likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 has a spectacular aura aboutMAD777 has a spectacular aura about

A work of art, Jay, as are your flyboxes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbird likes this.