The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 11:24 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Anyone Big Game hunting this Fall?

It's been deer and elk season (and wolf by proxy but I don't want to go there) here for almost three weeks and I haven't even had a chance to longingly clean my rifle. There has been a group of mule deer hanging around my property for a while with a couple small bucks nosing around the does. This morning a much nice buck appeared and was really harassing the does. The rut is heating up here. I hope like heck to get out one day this weekend.

Anyone having any luck??
Old 11-14-2013, 11:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Big Game hunting this Fall?

Saw this this morning

Old 11-14-2013, 12:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Saw that this AM and thought the guy was a total 'Numb Nut.' One of those horns through his his chest and he's toast.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:56 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I have a Bull tag for this season which started yesterday and ends Sunday and I have little fires burning everywhere. I don't know if I will get to hunt more than two evenings and one morning and man that's a lot of miles for an old man. Elk are well trained right now..."Stay out of sight or die" and man are they wary. They have been hunted since Aug28th when Bow season opened with barely a break between seasons.

With red meat at the store at over 5$ per pound just for burger I am dying trying to feed this mass of 5 boys (6-21) good red meat. I really need to get up the mountain but I am afraid the odds are stacked wayyy against me. My freezer is almost empty and winter is just starting.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Not only was he nuts but so where the people just watching. Were they just gonna sit there and watch the guy get impaled...A whole passel of idiots.

Dave
Old 11-14-2013, 09:24 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Not only was he nuts but so where the people just watching. Were they just gonna sit there and watch the guy get impaled...A whole passel of idiots.

Dave
Yup...Forrest Gump was right. " Stupid is as stupid does"
Old 11-14-2013, 09:49 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Good luck Cochise! I hope you get time to get out. Why is your tag only good for 5 days? Is that ID or CO? In Montana you just a buy a tag and it's good for the season, which is about 5 weeks.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:12 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Good luck Cochise! I hope you get time to get out. Why is your tag only good for 5 days? Is that ID or CO? In Montana you just a buy a tag and it's good for the season, which is about 5 weeks.
What does a local elk tag cost in Montana?

Dave
Old 11-15-2013, 05:52 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

do Steelhead count?...if so, then yes!
dean_mt likes this.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:02 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Thanks Dean...I will be busting today to get everything finished.

My elk tag is for CO and the season structure here is dramatically different.

We have Archery for a month, muzzleloader for 10 days in the middle of the archery month. Then first of four rifle seasons starts in early October running through end of November. Seasons are between 5 days and 9 days long.

Deer are hunted in archery, muzzleloader and the last three rifle seasons, first rifle is elk only. Very very few buck tags are given in 4th rifle as it is the rut.

I am excited to get up north!!
dean_mt likes this.