The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge Den (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/)
-   -   Exotic wood (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lodge-den/338645-exotic-wood.html)

jbird 11-29-2013 02:20 PM

Exotic wood

My wife and I had Thanksgiving dinner with a nice lady friend of ours down the street. I found myself the only male at a table with 6 ladies. Uh... 6 middle aged ladies drinking LOTS of wine. I mostly just listened but every once in a while I contributed a worthless little nugget of conversation. The lady hosting the dinner, at one point says, "Jay makes beautiful things from wood!" OK, so now the ball's in my court and I'm gonna dazzle these damsels with some knowledge. Well, I made the mistake of using the term "Exotic Wood". It was followed by a ripple of giggles around the table. Next thing I know, we arent talking about wood anymore... Well not wood in its correct context. LOL OH NO! I sat there with a red face listening to these well traveled, upper class "ladies" comparing stories of nude beaches in the medeteranian where the term "exotic wood" Among other things, was used loosely. Then "morning wood". Followed by other terms that did not improve the color of my face. As this tangent subsided, a lady I just met looks me square in the eyes and says. "So Jay, tell us about YOUR exotic wood" This was met with a wicked round of hyena like laughter... Good times... Good times!

siege 11-29-2013 02:32 PM

Re: Exotic wood

Well, Jay, it coudda' been worse. Flies, rods, soft tippets, fast action, oh my... the list just goes on....

mcnerney 11-29-2013 02:32 PM

Jay: That was pretty funny, I can just see you sitting there squirming in your chair when that gal says "so tell us about YOUR exotic wood"! :D

Larry

jbird 11-29-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siege (Post 615514)
Well, Jay, it coudda' been worse. Flies, rods, soft tippets, fast action, oh my... the list just goes on....

I did baffle them with BS earlier in the evening on the finer points of flyfishing. That was well before the wine flowed freely.

duker 11-29-2013 08:38 PM

That's hilarious.

When I bought my first spey rod I immediately put it together and was giving it a wiggle in the living room. When my wife raised her eyebrow at a thirteen foot fly rod coming dangerously close to lamps and plants and decorations, I asked "Hey, baby, want to get your hands on my double handed rod?"

She didn't.

Scott

itchmesir 11-29-2013 08:45 PM

Should've showed them how far your 9'er shoots... Line

littledavid123 11-29-2013 09:51 PM

I am going to stay out of this, just way to many possibilities to get in trouble.

Dave

theboz 11-29-2013 10:09 PM

That's a great story! But that's as far as I'm willing to go discussing it!