The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By siege
  • 2 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice
Default Fly Fishing Quotes

I've noticed that many of the members of this forum include fly fishing quotes in their posts or as part of their signatures. I thought I'd share a quote that has always resonated with me, and seems to speak to why we fly fish:

"If fly fishermen have an edge in this elaboration of soul that we resent hearing called a sport but are too timid to call an art, it is in our willingness to deepen the experience at nearly any personal cost. That is the reason we tie flies, not to save money through bulk purchase of hooks and feathers. That is why some of us cannot live without that breath of varnish from the rod tube when we rig up for another holy day. The motto of every serious angler is "Nearer My God to Thee." Humans have suspected for thousands of years that angling and religion are connected. But if you can find no higher ideal than outfishing your buddies, catching something big enough to stuff or winning a trophy, you have a lot of work to do before you are what Izaak Walton would call an angler."

That quote is from the introduction to [I]The Longest Silence: A Life in Fishing[I], a collection of essays about fly fishing by Thomas McGuane. McGuane is perhaps best known as a novelist, but he is an avid angler, and any serious angler should read these essays. If you haven't read the book already then run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore and pick up a copy. Perfect way to spend a long cold winter when you can't get out and fish.

So what fly fishing quotes or passages from either fiction or non-fiction have either inspired you or revealed something about angling for you?

Scott
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly Fishing Quotes

Stolen from someone else on this forum, and "resonated" with me :

Trout don't live in ugly places.

Think about it...trout won't survive in water that's warm, polluted, stagnant, or otherwise ugly. Picture your ideal trout stream...beautiful, cool, clear water, lots of great scenery, pleasantly scented air.....ready to spend some time where the trout live ?
fredaevans and duker like this.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:37 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing Quotes

Lots of good ones, since I have a theological bend, this one comes to mind:

“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.” - Norman Maclean
duker and siege like this.