The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: -5 to 0*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
The Weather Channel says it is -20 degrees here in Pinedale, WY this morning. Yikes is that cold or what!

Larry
They showed -21 for us this morning, my Davis Instruments Weather Station, only showed -18.. still a good day to try the 'throw the hot water into the air' day though.. I always get a kick out of that

On the Montana NBC news - they were warning about forecast winds and wind chill to -40.. hardly any winds though - not sure where they get that from (they're in Missoula)
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

even them boys down in oklahoma and arkansas are expecting some snow and ice...
Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
They showed -21 for us this morning, my Davis Instruments Weather Station, only showed -18.. still a good day to try the 'throw the hot water into the air' day though.. I always get a kick out of that

On the Montana NBC news - they were warning about forecast winds and wind chill to -40.. hardly any winds though - not sure where they get that from (they're in Missoula)
Most Missoulians think they know a lot more than they really do.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbusman View Post
It's almost 5 in the morning and it's warmed up to minus 7 up here north of Great Falls. It was down around minus 15 Wed night.
Now you guys will be getting the dangerous wind chills. I don't know how you do it there, that freaking wind all the time.

A good friend of mine grew up in Great Falls and always brings up the winter when he was in grade school (late '60s) and the temperature did not go above 0 for 30 days!

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
The Weather Channel says it is -20 degrees here in Pinedale, WY this morning. Yikes is that cold or what!
Yeah that's dang cold Larry. Is Pinedale on the high plains where the winds blow and blow? I've never been Cheyenne and from what I've heard I don't want to.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Now you guys will be getting the dangerous wind chills. I don't know how you do it there, that freaking wind all the time.

A good friend of mine grew up in Great Falls and always brings up the winter when he was in grade school (late '60s) and the temperature did not go above 0 for 30 days![COLOR="Silver"]
I have to admit, there are days when the cold drains the energy right out of me. Mostly, I get out the windstopper outerwear if I actually need to be out in it for a while. Otherwise, I just layer up and don't stay out in the windy stuff too long.

I used to tell people that in my years living up here that I'd never missed at least one day of fly fishing in any winter calendar month -- even if we had the real cold stuff, we'd get a chinook, everything would thaw, and I'd be out on the Missouri.

But a couple of years ago, I went a whole month of the temps staying too cold to fish. It got in my head pretty bad.

If it just gets up to 30 or so, I'll go fishing. I don't mind breaking off ice from my rod guides. (It is bad, however, if one accidently dips one's reel in the water.) A few times, I've fished in the low 30s with a howling wind. Silly me, I would look at the high for the day in the newspaper and drive to the river -- then the wind comes up. I don't turn around and go home, just layer up and put on the Exstream boot foots and go fishing. (But be careful if you wear breathable waders -- if you get up out of the river and the wind chill freezes the water on/in them, you can rip out seams, etc., from too much movement. Neoprenes are better in cold weather.)

My dad used to live in the SF bay area. He'd call up and complain that it was down to 38 degrees. I'd say, "dad, that's fishing weather!"

Luckily, today here in northcentral MT, we haven't had significant wind, just sub zero temps. The sun was out, and it didn't really feel that bad. (That's what living in a windy area will do to you ) --Busman
Old 12-06-2013, 03:01 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Where are you smarty? I don't mind the cold, I actually kind of like it, but when power goes out, pipes start bursting and car batteries just freeze then its not fum anymore. It can be serious.

Didn't a bunch of livestock freeze to the ground in N Dakota a couple years back? That is a tough place. I can't help but think about the pioneers when the weather gets extreme like this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Northeastern Minnesota, right at the extreme western tip of Lake Superior. We don't get the regular lake-effect snow poundings that places like the UP of Michigan on the south shore of Superior or Buffalo, NY get, but every now and then a storm will come barreling across the Dakotas and the rest of MN, then hit the air mass above the Lake and just stop over Duluth and keeps dumping snow.

The really cold air is supposed to arrive tonight... time to find the extension cord for my truck block heater so I can be sure it will start fine when I leave work tomorrow morning!

I don't specifically remember livestock freeing to the ground in ND, but it sounds possible. They had a big snowstorm in the Black Hills of SD this fall that wiped out a ton of cattle that were still out in summer pastures.

ryan
Old 12-06-2013, 04:50 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty140 View Post
Northeastern Minnesota, right at the extreme western tip of Lake Superior.
Say no more! I have pity on you.

The wind finally blew in as predicted, making the otherwise calm 5* a bitter stinging bite to all exposed skin. They are saying -30s or worse for wind chills here, and there is a football game tomorrow morning at 11am! The stadium is right at the head of the Hellgate Canyon, needless to say it's a windy spot. I pity the kids from Carolina that are coming up to play.