The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Watch your accounts.

Well I woke up this morning to find some texts showing my card had been used at 2:53 am and 6 am while I was sound a sleep. Now the mess of trying to straighten everything out begins.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:30 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watch your accounts.

Am sorry for the nightmare you are about to go through, hope you will share with us when you have more information as to how they got your information.

Best of luck getting this straightened out.

Dave
Old 12-10-2013, 10:02 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Been there. A lady from IA got a hold of one of my credit cards last year. She was an employee at a border gas station, and had to of grabbed my card # when i was going to fish. She racked up somewhere around $850 of charges before my bank caught it, and within about 5 minutes, my account was straightened out, and new cards were on their way.

Hopefully you're as lucky as I was with your bank.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Well I woke up this morning to find some texts showing my card had been used at 2:53 am and 6 am while I was sound a sleep. Now the mess of trying to straighten everything out begins.
Don't worry about 'a mess;' there won't be any. If a credit card there's an '800' number on the back and ask for the 'fraud squad.' All card issuer's have one and they're all over this in a flash. They can pull up your account and do their magic. A charge back to the seller (or a hold on the payment) will happen immediately.

You may not know (from the charge) who was the 'retailer' but they do and more often than not they will call while you're on 'hold' on the phone. Retailers don't like to get screwed over either ... and if they accepted the card without checking the signature on the back or (now it seems**) asking for a photo ID they're toast.

If a charge against your chequing account there will be similar action ... but you may not know for up to a month if you don't go 'on line' and watch your account activity (rare this type of fraud but will actually happen, but it does - 'Old folks with 'in home' take care).

** Interesting new stuff here in my area. I rarely use a credit card of any kind save for something like an Amazon.com purchase. Last several purchases with my debit card I was asked for photo ID.

End game is you have to be 'pro-active' ASAP.

fae
Hardyreels, mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:29 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

The card companies are very good at this once you notify them.

I had a charge from a company that went out of business. When I talked to a woman at the card company I asked how they'd get it back from a company that no longer existed. She said that they could get it back and I shouldn't worry about it.

She was right. They settled in my favor pretty quickly.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Well it is interesting as I have no idea how they got my info. The charges were through Amazon.com but not through my account just my credit/ debit card. The order was placed through a 3rd party Amazon retailer so Amazon is trying to contact them to cancel that order as they can't cancel it. Currently the money is tied up in pre authorizations so it is technically in limbo on both ends. If Amazon gets them to cancel the order the Pre Auth will disappear if it goes through I was told to file a police report and contact the company back to file fraud charges.

The order was placed to come to my house with all my information such as cell, address, and everything the only difference is they used an email with similar likeness and setup a second Amazon account. When I called I got asked if I had a second account and when I told them no they said one was created and the only thing different was the email address.

Got the old card canceled and a new one coming in now to watch my account even closer than usual which is daily.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Only thing I can think is they gained access to my Amazon account but used my info to setup a second one. currently deleting any and all save information there now. might be a day late and a dollar short.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:58 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Probably hackers... I doubt these big companies report every breach of their security to the public... Would make for bad press... Unlike the gubberment who'll let you know about any hacker because it instills fear.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

"The order was placed to come to my house with all my information such as cell, address, and everything"

Your wife's christmas present to you was just ruined.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
"The order was placed to come to my house with all my information such as cell, address, and everything"

Your wife's christmas present to you was just ruined.
I wish would make me a much happier person.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:39 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

A few months ago someone was phishing with my Amazon account but I caught it before they could make any purchases. They were able to download a free demo but I happened to be on my email account when the notification came through. Amazon blocked the account for me before they could purchase anything.

In October just before leaving on a trip my wife checked her credit card statement and found out 5 days prior someone had made 10,000 dollars in purchases at two different app stores. The cc company took care of it right away but I'm still a little upset that they didn't flag it to begin with. I made a $40 dollar gas purchase in another state and they called me before my tank was full.