The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Eddie O'Neill
  • 1 Post By jimp
  • 1 Post By duker
  • 2 Post By siege
  • 1 Post By Eddie O'Neill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 07:29 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default A strange Visitor

I walked into one of our rooms tonight and there on the window was this small furry animal. Very cute, at first I thought it was a Chipmunk, but on closer examination, it was not. Grey in colour, bushy tail, big black eyes.

The pictures are not the best as the wife was panicking at the same time as trying to take pictures. Eventually managed to get it out one of our doors after chasing it for half an hour with one of my long handled fishing nets

We have a large fireplace in the room, so I'm guessing it came down the chimney.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

After a bit of online research the little critter is a flying squirrel, apparently very common in CT, however as they are nocturnal they are very rarely seen.

DEEP: Flying Squirrel Fact Sheet

A wee bit of excitement on a Friday night as we wait for the approaching snow storm
mcnerney, jpbfly and yonder like this.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:33 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A strange Visitor

At least it didn't have a white stripe from head to tail. LOL
Eddie O'Neill likes this.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Interesting, Eddie, and a rare treat.

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but my first thought on looking at those pictures was "I wonder if its tail would be any good for fly tying?"

Scott
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:16 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wow! what an interesting surprise

ARFE
Old 12-13-2013, 08:41 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Eddie, have you ever seen a Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon ? When you get that close to a flying squirrel, watch out for moose
Eddie O'Neill and repperson29 like this.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Very cool, only animal that has come in our house besides my dog is myself.

Ryan
Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Eddie, have you ever seen a Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon ? When you get that close to a flying squirrel, watch out for moose
Just checked out the cartoon, now looking around the house for a Moose
siege likes this.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:14 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but my first thought on looking at those pictures was "I wonder if its tail would be any good for fly tying?"

Scott
hopefully this wasn't illegal... I had a couple flying squirrels get into an attic area adjacent to my bedroom in my first house and caught/killed them in large mouse traps (really annoying when they would scamper around and make noise during the night). Of course, I had to try tying up some flies - ended up with a few hares ear inspired nymphs that looked pretty decent!

ryan
Old 12-13-2013, 11:45 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post

Scott
hahaha I was thinking the same thing.