The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 01:09 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light
Default What are you guys reading?

Reading is one of my favorite hobbies, there's nothing like diving into a long series of books and getting to know a well written character. I just got done reading Robin Hobbs series "Assasins Apprentice" and the "Tawny man trilogy" both are three book series that follows a king to be waiting'so ******* who is raised up to be an assasin. Set in the medieval period it seems it does deal with some magic, but it's not crazy outlandish magic that makes it feel like a children's book. It's been the best series of read where it really focuses on the main characters psyche.

Now that that is finished, since I am new to fly fishing I stopped at the library and picked up a few fly fishing novels, a river runs through it, river music, and the river why.

So, what say you?

Ryan
Old 12-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What are you guys reading?

I read a lot, mostly on my Kindle. Typical books are crime, espionage and thrillers. Favourite authors are Ian Rankin, Stuart MacBride, Stephen Leather, Vince Flynn to name a few.
I don't read a lot of fishing books as I'd rather fish than read about it. I did enjoy The Earth is Enough and the Longest Silence.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:21 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
I read a lot, mostly on my Kindle. Typical books are crime, espionage and thrillers. Favourite authors are Ian Rankin, Stuart MacBride, Stephen Leather, Vince Flynn to name a few.

I don't read a lot of fishing books as I'd rather fish than read about it. I did enjoy The Earth is Enough and the Longest Silence.

I read all of Vince Flynns novels, sad he passed away, was a great author and one of the best main characters I've come across. I have been through 3 kindles, and now just read on my ipad mini. The kindles just keep breaking on me.

Ryan
Old 12-22-2013, 01:27 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Mitch Rapp was a great character. I know Vince was talking to studios about a movie. Not sure if his publishers are moving forward with this. A great loss, fantastic author.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:37 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I enjoy Dean Koontz's books. I've read most of them, and my favorites are the Odd Thomas series. Once the protaganists are developed, and you get sucked into the twists that befall the main characters, it's hard to put these books down.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
I enjoy Dean Koontz books. I've read most of them, and my favorites are the Odd Thomas series. Once the protaganists are developed, and you get sucked into the twists that befall the main characters, it's hard to put these books down.

I also read all of the odd Thomas series, in fact, I think those novels were the first time I started to read fiction.

Ryan
Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Two Author's come immediately to mind: Tom Clancy and one most of you may never heard of before: W.E.B. Griffin. Tom's books are written in the present, all of Griffin's are WW2 spy thrillers. Books that you've read at least two times and enjoyed every minute.

fae
Old 12-22-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Two Author's come immediately to mind: Tom Clancy and one most of you may never heard of before: W.E.B. Griffin. Tom's books are written in the present, all of Griffin's are WW2 spy thrillers. Books that you've read at least two times and enjoyed every minute.

fae

Ha, I also read the complete series of w.e.b. griffin. You guys have good taste in books

Ryan
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:50 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

Strategies for Stillwater by Dave Hughes; a Christmas gift ot myself, I have one other fly fishing book on the way.

Tom
Old 12-22-2013, 04:54 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
Ha, I also read the complete series of w.e.b. griffin. You guys have good taste in books .

Ryan
It's a fact.....when someone likes what we do, we perceive them to have good taste, be extremely intelligent, and be particularly attractive
Just like us !
fredaevans likes this.