The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 10:37 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Firewood's inner beauty

Felt like making some sawdust recently, and needed some oak, which I can't afford from the lumber yard. But we have a pretty good supply of seasoned, mixed hardwoods:

Click the image to open in full size.

With a little help from my hand-held and stationary planers, as well as my table and band saws, I was able to turn these:

into these:

and ultimately, into these:

Now all I gotta do is clean up this:

Through this little exercise, I have decided that there is a fourth way firewood warms you:
First, when you cut it
Second, when you split it
Third, when you burn it
and now, fourth, when you look at a fly in one of those displays that brings back warm memories.

Gary
Old 12-27-2013, 10:45 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Firewood's inner beauty

I'm thinking to get into this woodworking business. I found a nice table online that i'd like to build, and when I told the wife, she gave me the look 'i'll believe it when i see it'
Unfortunately, i first need to buy the tools, and get some work space....perhaps next year.....
wait, thats only a few days away!!

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-27-2013, 10:48 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Don't forget to get a good shop vacuum, too, Eunan...trust me, women just don't get how cool it is to have wood chips tracked all over the house!

Gary
Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 PM

quickdraw will become famous soon enoughquickdraw will become famous soon enough

great work man!!! most of the wood working i do is out of firewood or trees that I recycle. it's pretty rewarding to build something useful out of something that's cast off. and i have fun milling up the stock from logs. I would like to have a more powerful bandsaw some day, and a planer would also be nice to have. most of the Christmas gifts i made this year came from oak and maple pallet wood.
here's a bowl i made a little while ago out of a recycled maple tree:

I'm thinking about making some "Garbage bowls" for putting discarded tying materials in, maybe with some burned flies or fish in the bottom of the bowl.

BTW, those flies are beautiful! I wish my tying skills would allow me to make flies that nice!

Last edited by quickdraw; 12-27-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That was a cool transformation Gary,

Since you live in a rural area, and you make sawdust, have you considered having a few laying hens? I used to keep 125 - 135 laying hens and after building them a chicken Taj Mahal I found that sawdust and planer shavings made great litter for the floor. The results when the hen house was cleaned resulted in great garden fertilizer when used in moderation If you had just 3 hens and a small coop I figure you would make enough shavings and sawdust to keep them happy & clean

The displays are beauties.
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-27-2013, 01:01 PM

thanks for the good words! Quickdraw, the fly on the right was tied by Eunan (addicted to vise), the one in the center by Kevin Branch up in New Brunswick, and I tied the Deep Green Beauty on the left.

Ard, as much as I really would like to have chickens, I spend too much time 600 miles from here to take care of them. And I KNOW the lady of the house has neither the time nor the inclination!

That reminds me that I actually hatched 6 ringneck pheasants in my apartment when I was going to Cornell...what was I thinking?!!

Gary
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I understand but if she likes eggs, she'll change her tune when she has her own hens.........maybe. While I had those hens I had a pretty active incubating & brooding project going on for other species as well. I raised quail - pheasant - and partridge, so it was a little more than hobby sized in reality. So long ago.... 30 years, never thought that would end but now I'm here.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-27-2013, 03:24 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Nice work Gary!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Last edited by theboz; 12-28-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:32 PM

hairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to behold

Be it a campfire, a woodstove warming the office or an old fieldstone fireplace ablaze with seasoned oak, there is a magic to be found in a good fire. Sit me in a chair near a fire and I can listen to fish camp/deer camp/bird camp stories for most of the night, and see them all in my mind. Lessons learned from being raised by a grandfather who loved his fires, and a grandmother who only cooked on a wood-fired cookstove. Suffice to say, I've cut, split, stacked and hauled my share...

That said, you've taken the beauty of a chunk of firewood and raised the bar to a whole new level, Gary. Kudos, my friend... kudos!

By the way, I still need those bookshelves, and the offer still stands for some hours on northern Michigan's AuSable River... if you happen to get over this way...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
gt05254 likes this.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:43 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Very nice firewood Gary!
gt05254 likes this.