The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default A Beautiful Creation From a Forum Member

A while back, I purchased a couple of handmade wooden fly boxes from jbird here on the forum. He has a website called Flygrain.

Jay's work is amazing, and I've checked back on his site regularly since first contacting him. I noticed he started making knives, and one of them spoke to me the minute I saw it. I contacted Jay directly and had it within a few days.

This will be a great hunting knife I plan to use on wild boar in 2014.

If you're looking for something special, check out his work.

Here's his phenomenal craftsmanship:

Click the image to open in full size.

-VB

Last edited by von behr; 12-27-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: A Beautiful Creation From a Forum Member

cracking knife.

One the subject of boar, if you get any, i'd be interested in some underfur if you manage to salvage some.
von behr and jaybo41 like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
cracking knife.

One the subject of boar, if you get any, i'd be interested in some underfur if you manage to salvage some.
I'll see what I can do. Their hair is like wire. With regard to underfur, where on the boar's body are you referring?

-VB
Old 12-27-2013, 08:01 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice! Compliments to jbird! Eric, are you planning on killing the hog with it, or skinning with it? milt
Hardyreels and von behr like this.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy seeing threads like this one on the forum, it's always good to help a kindred soul.

Good work Von Behr.........

Dave
von behr likes this.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Very nice! Compliments to jbird! Eric, are you planning on killing the hog with it, or skinning with it? milt
I'm planning on using this as a skinning knife. I use a compound bow to hunt.

I'm not sure about other states, but it's illegal to use a knife as a "pig sticker" to hunt big game in California. Using a bow is challenging enough for me. I've been charged by wild pigs, and it gets the heart pumping. I can't imagine tackling one and killing it with a knife.

-VB
fredaevans and milt spawn like this.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I had seen Tred Barta do it on his tv show before his debilitating illness. Definitely takes some stones. Send Eunan the hair, I'll show up for the asado! milt
von behr likes this.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

That knife is a thing of beauty ! Handle and blade!
Milt, Tred has been crazy since he was a kid I'm glad to see he's not letting his illness stop him . I see he's wheelchair hunting and fishing now!
von behr and milt spawn like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-28-2013, 01:41 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the kind words Eric. I do not envy any swine on the business end of this thing! ��
Old 01-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Thanks for the kind words Eric. I do not envy any swine on the business end of this thing! ��
Jay, it's my pleasure, sir. Thank you for creating such a wonderful work of art.

I don't envy those pigs either. A boar will go down in 2014. That's one of my goals for the year.

I wish you and your family all the best in 2014.

-Eric