The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 01:34 PM

repperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the rough
Default Its a good day!

Not sure if many people have read my member introduction, but if you did you'll know I've had some back problems that were unexplainable after my surgery in July. Well, yesterday I had a myleogram done (basically they shoot dye into my affected nerves and take X-rays and cat scans) and they found some disc fragments hitting the nerves that run into my leg. So hopefully they'll be able to go in there and clean those up and I'll be good as new in 6 months. I know this is not a big deal to a lot of people, but it feels like I'm getting my life back with this other surgery. No more having to quit hunting because of the back, or fishing, or hiking or even playing with my kids. It's an amazing feeling.

Ryan
Old 01-01-2014, 01:46 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Its a good day!

Ryan,

You have a great attitude, am sure you will succeed.

Best of Luck!

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 01-01-2014, 02:16 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Ryan, I wish you well with it! A good attitude is critical to proper healing I believe!

I had back surgery in '86 to remove a section of damaged disc in my lower back. The surgeon told me I wouldn't be able to lift more than 30 lbs the rest of my life. I told him I still had to make a living! I worked in road construction back then, and stayed in that type of work for a few years after that in various jobs. In the past 20+ years I've been driving a tractor trailer & I unload with hand carts. I average about 50,000 lbs a week, with the heaviest products being about 50 lbs. It's not easy work, & repetitive but my back has been fine all this time. In my previous job I unloaded & delivered 100lb bags of bakery products.

I really believe the type of work I do has kept my back in decent shape, but as I get older I'm sure I'll eventually be forced out of this type of work. Nothing lasts forever!

I've known far too many folks, including my one brother who has had back surgeries & have continued to have problems! I hope it works out as good for you as it has for me!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck Ryan!!Don't forget to update this post....
Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

I hear you. And I do understand what a big deal it is. I'm very happy for you. I've had my share of back, hip and sciatic nerve problems, and have seen how wonderful getting some relief is. Hopefully your recovery will be complete.

I hope it heals fast for you, and that life just keeps getting better from now on
Old 01-02-2014, 02:32 PM

repperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the messages guys. I really dont have a lot of friends around w here I live since most of them moved away for jobs and whatnot. Genuinely glad I found this forum and am able to meet you guys atleast virtually. I meet with my surgeon the 30th and Ill definitley let you guys know his decision is in regards to surgery. Hopefully ill be good to go first day of trout!

Ryan
Old 01-02-2014, 04:45 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Best to you Ryan. In a way I can sympathize. Back in 2009 I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. Basically, your joints hurt so bad all you can do is lay around. My knee had swollen up and my fingers on my left hand too, couldn't bend my knee or close my hand.

PO'd and feeling sorry for myself I sold my guitar my bow and called it quits.

Thank God for drugs! Now a shot a week in the leg keeps the joints pain free, knee back to 'normal' and hand I can close almost completely.

Felt like I got my life back! And I don't take it for granted, I fish whenever the schedule allows (or I make it allow it). Bought my bow back and wife got me a new guitar.

Hate to say it, but I think being diagnosed with this disease in a way was a good thing. Crazy huh!?!!!! Think about it. I think everyday fishing or standing or walking is a gift. And the wife never argues with my spending time or money on this crazy past time.

- Cardo
mcnerney and repperson29 like this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Best to you Ryan. In a way I can sympathize. Back in 2009 I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. Basically, your joints hurt so bad all you can do is lay around. My knee had swollen up and my fingers on my left hand too, couldn't bend my knee or close my hand.

PO'd and feeling sorry for myself I sold my guitar my bow and called it quits.

Thank God for drugs! Now a shot a week in the leg keeps the joints pain free, knee back to 'normal' and hand I can close almost completely.

Felt like I got my life back! And I don't take it for granted, I fish whenever the schedule allows (or I make it allow it). Bought my bow back and wife got me a new guitar.

Hate to say it, but I think being diagnosed with this disease in a way was a good thing. Crazy huh!?!!!! Think about it. I think everyday fishing or standing or walking is a gift. And the wife never argues with my spending time or money on this crazy past time.

- Cardo

It's been a blessing in disguise for our family, I missed most of my sons life being away in the military, our daughter was born in August and I have turned into a stay at home daddy, a role in which I was not familiar with and even sort of dreaded. But now I have done it for awhile, I kind of like it, and it really takes only like 3 hours to do the chores each day, so the other time is spent with my daughter and perhaps working on some flys

It's strange, I told my wife I wanted to start fishing more as it helps with my PTSD and is easier on my back than hunting and she agreed and let me buy a bunch of stuff to start fly fishing. Sometimes wives are the best

Ryan
mcnerney and shotgunfly like this.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 AM

Well, just a bit of an update, I met with my surgeon yesterday and he confirmed that there is debris that is blocking my nerves which causes me severe pain. He suggested he goes in and tries to clean it up and we agreed that that would be the best option. My surgery is scheduled for February 13th.

The surgery is pretty simple he says and all should go well. Of course there is always the caveat that things can go wrong but the risk is only minimal. I'm keeping my spirits high at this point since the surgery is so close and that means I'll be getting off painkillers soon. I've been taking 750mg of hydro codon 3 times a day for pretty much a year and a half. Not looking forward to the withdrawal but it's tiring feeling this way all the time.

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

Ryan
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

A bad back is a terrible thing. I lived with back problems for years. Several years ago I had to have lumbar fusion of three vertebrae. It was the best thing I have ever done. I can now wade and fish for hours on end without ever having to sit down. I love being able to do things that I couldn't do before.

Of course, having the right doctor makes all the difference in the world and staying active and moving just makes my back stronger.

Good luck to you and I hope you are like new soon and off the drugs. You'll feel a lot better just getting those out of your system.
mcnerney likes this.