The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By calftail
  • 2 Post By Eddie O'Neill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 04:20 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Tracks in the snow

Coyote tracks....Click the image to open in full size.
Rabbit tracks....Click the image to open in full size.

I don't know how much longer the rabbit is goin' to make it.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tracks in the snow

I had a whole herd of deer in my yard yesterday just before dusk.
Anything that was still green is now pellets in the snow.

The mast crop must be real sparse this year. They've been coming up right to the back door
Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

The "dog" as we call 'em came right up to my window with a mouth full of carrion and looked at me from about 5 feet away. That's how I can point out that they are coyote track.

The rabbit as rabbits will do, froze when I walked by and just sat there until I went back in the house.

Ah...it's survival time. Winter.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Very good,

Now I'll be looking for an old pome I wrote about tracks. I spent 93 days at the cabin over winter about 5 years ago and after a long day out snowshoeing I wrote about it.

Hope I can find that thing, it's on paper.............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-08-2014, 07:02 PM

I read Krakauer a few years back..."Into The Wild" seems all us predators keep a keen eye on the snow tracks.

Instinct isn't it? I always look at the snow tracks. Gives me a sense of situational awareness.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:23 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I had a whole herd of deer in my yard yesterday just before dusk.
Anything that was still green is now pellets in the snow.

The mast crop must be real sparse this year. They've been coming up right to the back door
Definitely ! The mast crop by me was less than adequate .
My suet cage for the birds is being visited by not only squirrels and birds but the deer are even trying to like through the wire cage ! That's until dusk when the raccoons come and open every snap swivel and clasp I have locking it closed and walk away with the entire block of suet! And the coyotes have gotten rid of all the feral cats , one a night so maybe they will move on!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-09-2014, 08:36 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Similar story here as well. We have deer every night, even seen them eating out of one of the bird feeders.

Click the image to open in full size.

The coyotes are really noisy at the moment. Have been woken up on a number of occasions as they get a kill.
mcnerney and calftail like this.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Similar story here as well. We have deer every night, even seen them eating out of one of the bird feeders.

The coyotes are really noisy at the moment. Have been woken up on a number of occasions as they get a kill.
My desk chair sets next to a draped window that faces the yard. One morning about 3 am I had the coyote about 10-15 feet away in the yard yelping at me. Must have been my shadow moving through the drape. As soon as it quit yelping at me I grabbed the drape and gave it a shake. It got the yote all riled up again and I tormented it shaking the drape for about 15 min. They can really make a racket.... Your absolutely right, Eddie.

Communing with nature...
Old 01-09-2014, 07:54 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I'm thinking I would get me a 'yote some time during the night from a nice sniper spot.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM

"Bugs" was kinda photogenic this morning. Glad he's still around... haven't seen him in a few days.