The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default New fly box design

Curious what you guys think about a new fly box design I'm playing with. I'm going for the natural look or a kind of distressed look. Any critique appreciated.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Re: New fly box design

Honestly ?
Ok…...here goes...
I think the box is beautiful. Would I carry one in my vest or chest pack. Nope.
Personally, my preference runs to water tight, full hinge, plastic boxes.
That said, let me try to redeem my barbaric sense of practicality.....
What a great design for a presentation, or a gift, with flies enclosed. A lifetime keepsake by any standard. I love the way you bring out the depth of the grain, and give such life to the different woods you use.
As a trinket box, for cuff links, tie tacs, rings, etc... Just awesome !
Your work is amazing, your designs, like your imagination, are inspiring.
I always look forward to seeing what you display here.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice! If you engraved a reverse hackle fly on it I wonder if it would sell well with Tenkara folks. Would fit the style a bit and some carry a smaller selection of flies.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Very nice! If you engraved a reverse hackle fly on it I wonder if it would sell well with Tenkara folks. Would fit the style a bit and some carry a smaller selection of flies.
Yep and you wouldn't even have to put cork in it for those one fly guys.
littledavid123 and jbird like this.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the boys are on to something with the Tenkara box idea, probably could cut the size by half also.

Dave
jbird likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:19 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Nice!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
jbird likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Honestly ?
Oků...here goes...
I think the box is beautiful. Would I carry one in my vest or chest pack. Nope.
Personally, my preference runs to water tight, full hinge, plastic boxes.
That said, let me try to redeem my barbaric sense of practicality.....
What a great design for a presentation, or a gift, with flies enclosed. A lifetime keepsake by any standard. I love the way you bring out the depth of the grain, and give such life to the different woods you use.
As a trinket box, for cuff links, tie tacs, rings, etc... Just awesome !
Your work is amazing, your designs, like your imagination, are inspiring.
I always look forward to seeing what you display here.
I appreciate your honesty siege I fully realize this isn't for everyone. Its not as practical as it is beautiful. Part of the reason I went with this design is some people worry about getting a wood fly box beat up. I want to reinforce my opinion that a beat up wood box actually looks really cool

I used to use the fully sealed plastic boxes too, but quickly discovered they seal IN water too, which is inevitable every time you put a used fly away, creating a humidity that eventually saturates the whole contents.

to everyone else.. Tenkara huh? Very interesting idea Don't these guys like a compartmentalized box? Maybe I can add a couple dividers. A thin wood in contrasting color might be cool???
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 AM
mridenour

The only thing I don't like about it is that I don't own one.
jbird and craigthor like this.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Ive had problems with the used wet flies staying in the same box but now ive taken to using the patch on the sling pack for them to dry before I place them back in the box.

As for not taking it cause it might be bulky.....its a valid point but im proof that people wouldcarry that around proudly.

Great craftsmanship!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
jbird likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Part of the reason I went with this design is some people worry about getting a wood fly box beat up. I want to reinforce my opinion that a beat up wood box actually looks really cool
Probably the #1 reason I want one. I'd like to see what it looks like at the end of a lifetime of use.

I'd like to see this style in a smaller version without the foam that I can just throw my favorite pattern in.
jbird likes this.