The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 05:21 PM

repperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the rough
Default Crossroads

Well guys,

Seems as if I'm at a crossroad of my life. I'm sure some of you know about my back situation and that I lost my job because of that. I was born into a family where the men have ALWAYS worked manual labor jobs since coming over from France in the 1700s. I of course followed in the same footsteps as my forefathers and did construction during high school and that was my job in the military. Fast forward 6 years and I'm out of the military and I goto work in a forge shop, and I truly enjoyed the work, I was practically bred for this type of work, strong back and shoulders, excellent hand eye coordination. But then comes my back surgery and everything has now changed, I lost that job and in truth I'll never again be able to work in any job that requires lots of manual labor. The problem is, I'm uneducated, I passed high school with a D average and I'm not interested in much other than hunting, fishing, and my family.

I just don't know what type of career is out there for an uneducated broken veteran. I normally have a positive outlook on life, but today is just a down day and I don't really have another outlet for this stuff. I don't like to burden my wife with this since she is the one supporting us and is under a tremendous amount of stress as it is.

I have thought about starting an ebay store of some sort, as I do tend to have a knack to understand the ebbs and flows of ebay (when to sell what items,time of day, all that) but that would just be a pretty big leap for me to do.

Sorry for ranting, I just don't know what direction life will take me at this point career wise.

Ryan
Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Crossroads

Ryan,

I understand where you are coming from on the back issues. I blew mine out 15 years ago and I will always have my limits. You are a VET and I see you are a young guy. I am hoping you deployed? Whether you got hurt after the military or not a VET has some medical benefits for life. That is huge if that isn't obvious to you. It's not free healthcare but while you are odwn on your luck for a job it pretty much is.

As far as the ebay store and such. Yeah, find as many ways as you can to make a buck for now. You can stand up and make your way in the world as best you can, or you can just give up and search for free assistance the rest of your life, if you want to call that a life because it isn't to me.

Doesn't sound like you are a candidate to go get a four year degree but you can get qualed to make a decent living that doesn't require wheelbarrows and heavy lifting. Again contact the VA and see what help is out there. If you deployed and didn't use your GI Bill you have LOTS of educational options.

PM me if I can help. PM me if the VA doesn't seem helpful, but most of the VA REPs I have met are awesome people who will do what needs done no matter how tedious the paperwork is.

Hang in there. Most everybody gets a kick in the face at some time in their life. It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it. I'd like to forget the mid 80s economy but it all worked out.
billyspey and pm287 like this.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 01-19-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:13 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

I can't speak for your state, but here the State Job Service has a vocational rehab program that will train you to do another type of work when you are unable to do what you use to do. Veterans get preference in entering the program.They pay a living wage while you train, provide the training at no charge, and help you find a job in your new field. May be something to look into if you haven't already.
You know it will work out... It has to. In the mean time, keep your head up, and push on. All comes to he who waits, if he works like h*ll while he waits. Keep looking,keep trying, keep going. It's who you are. You'll get there.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 PM

repperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the rough
Default Crossroads

Thanks for the reply, I did two tours, one in Iraq, one in Afghanistan, I went to college for one semester but that was around the time my back went out so I had to drop out. I was going for culinary school though which is also strenuous on the back so that's also out.

My back situation stems from a service related injury, but I'm not receiving benefits yet because it's working it's way through the system. Truth is, after I get that I won't necessarily need a perfect career as that will cover a lot of of our families expenses and then some since I should get atleast 60% just for my back then I also have loss of hearing in left ear plus diagnosed PTSD.

I really wouldn't mind working at a fly shop part time. It's just really confusing to figure out what's right for me, I understand that everyone goes through this time and I just have to keep fighting.

I will say, the VA center I goto has been very helpful for all of my medical needs, I haven't checked into their job programs and whatnot which I should probably do.

Ryan
Old 01-18-2014, 11:15 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

VA claims go slow as you know. If you were hurt on duty and have documentation you will be fine eventually. And it sounds like you have a lot of GI Bill benefits remaining too. I think you are probably aware they will pay you to attend college or technical school and that sounds like a real good idea from here.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
VA claims go slow as you know. If you were hurt on duty and have documentation you will be fine eventually. And it sounds like you have a lot of GI Bill benefits remaining too. I think you are probably aware they will pay you to attend college or technical school and that sounds like a real good idea from here.

It is the wisest decision, to go back to school. I'm just quite honestly afraid of it, for one I don't know what I'd want to study, not sure if I'm smart enough, and if I fail out I have to pay the GI bill money back. Also throw in two small children and a wife it's just scary and I'm afraid to fail.

Can't I just fish and hunt all day

Ryan
Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

A truck dispatcher in the oil field in South Texas, Pennslyvania or North Dakota??? I would imagine that you have good discipline and can give orders. Look up oilfield trucking and start sending emails. Taking some computer classes to learn Excel would be a good idea for any job.

The best advice is to start thinking outside the box.

Dave
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
It is the wisest decision, to go back to school. I'm just quite honestly afraid of it, for one I don't know what I'd want to study, not sure if I'm smart enough, and if I fail out I have to pay the GI bill money back. Also throw in two small children and a wife it's just scary and I'm afraid to fail.

Can't I just fish and hunt all day
Ryan
Ryan, As a vet you have all the resources you need to become healthier and get an education. You're set up better than most hard working Americans so you just need to execute. Work through the med issues like you're doing and use the GI Bill to its full potential. Start school as soon as possible and just start knocking out your general ed requirements. After a couple years in school you can declare your major. You'll also receive a housing allowance which will help greatly.
When I was in college as a full time student I also worked full time because I had to provide for my wife and two kids and I didn't have the Post 911 GI Bill like you. I did that for years and although it was tough, it paid off in the long run. I did it for my family because they were depending on me. If I can do it so can you. Remember, the only thing worse than failing is not trying. Semper Fi.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 PM

After alittle thought and a discussion with my wife I may have figured out a good course of action. After my surgery and subsequent down period I think I'm going to attend a two year business school and focus on logistics and management. I'm good with people and I have experience leading, and I also love logistics. My father and mother have a small real estate/construction business and they have been asking my wife and I if we would be willing to run it in a few years so they can retire.

Ideally, I would run the day to day books from home part time while also doing the things I love, growing a vegetable garden, canning, and of course hunting and fishing. This way we would also be able to have the kids home a lot more and not have to pay a babysitter.

This all sounds well and good, but, I've always had this problem of being afraid to seem like I'm taking a handout from my father. It's something that's very hard for me to do so I'm currently wrestling with this decision. I have time to figure it out, since we won't need to run the business for a few years but it weighs on my mind already.

Ryan
Old 02-05-2014, 08:10 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Sales. If going back to school isn't up yiu talley, go into sales.