The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Wood is good!

Ive been having a wonderful time lately, seeing the natural canvas of wood. Specifically Spalted Maple. I have a bit of this wood that has really been speaking to me and I've been able to release some of my artistic talents in the form of Pyrography (wood burning).

The lines in this very interesting wood provide a river bottom (as I see it). What else I discovered once I varnished the wood is it has some "curl" to it. That is, there is a 3-D striping in the lighter portion of the maple and it looks like sun rays penetrating water. It moves and changes as you move the wood, just like a 3-D photo. Really neat!!!

Rainbow trout
Click the image to open in full size.

Brown trout

More Brown Trout

This one struck me as rushing water. I love pictures of steelhead that are half submerged...

I really love the way Spalted Maple "bookmatches" too!

imxer, mcnerney, jpbfly and 10 others like this.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wood is good!

That's about perfect for those boxes. I really dig the last one you have posted.

My buddy's bass is made from that type of maple, its a gorgeous instrument.
jbird likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

WOW. Beautiful work. I like knowing that the wood speaks to you, but even better is the way you are able to speak back.
How gratifying it must be to have the talent that you have and to be able to be that creative at will. Awesome craftsmanship !
mridenour and jbird like this.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jay: Beautiful work!

Larry
jbird likes this.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:44 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Heres another crazy creation. I was preparing this piece of burl to cut a fly box out of it. It suddenly dawned on me how cool a fly display might be if I simply split it in half, routed it out and put some high grade cork in it.

It turned out pretty interesting. It's actually on it's way to Singapore now, of all places

Here it is with its little brother

Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 AM

pm287 is on a distinguished road

That is some fine craftsmanship in wood. Can't stamp these out!!!!
jbird likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 AM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

Gorgeous boxes! Really like the burl box, is it maple too? I've been thinking about playing around with some boxelder- it's in the same genus as maple and I've seen some pretty interesting work done with it online.

Thanks for sharing!
jbird likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

WOW, all the boxes are great, but that burl fly box is amazing.... Great craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing.
jbird likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 01-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful!!!!You're an artist
jbird likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:18 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! It keeps on getting better! Wonderful stuff!
jbird likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser