The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tyler_durden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 PM

rockriv is on a distinguished road
Default Want to buy used spey rod

Wanting to get into spey casting and im looking for a used spey rod to do so. 12 to 13 foot range 7ish weight. Im looking to spend around 150ish. Im needing a reel to so if you happen to have something in the 10 to 12 weight range for 50 bucks id be interested as well. Money is tight and theres no way i can drop enough cash for a new spey set up. Thanks so much! James
Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Want to buy used spey rod

Anglers Roost has some spey rods for about that price that I've heard good reviews about. Also, the Rainshadow blanks get really good reviews but you'd have to build you own rod. For reels I like the Okuma SLV and the biggest one should balance a rod that size. Also there are the old Medalist reels.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:42 AM

Wow! The anglers roost rods do look interesting. Im shocked they are so cheap. Ill have to do some research on em. I appreciate the guidance! Thanks a ton!!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:21 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a review of them from a bit ago. I don't know if he's changed the blanks since the review was done a few years ago but it might give you a start.

I've not talked to the owner of Angler's Roost personally but heard he can be a character. I have finished one graphite and two of his bamboo blanks and they were good values for the money. One of the bamboo rods is a favorite. I've also used some of his reels and find they work well for trout. I've not tried them on larger game.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Great review and great info. Thanks for showing me that. I think ill go with one