The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Question OT- Need spinning advice

I was never a spin fisher, I've always fly fished, so I could use a little help.

My brother, who's never fished a day in his life, recently bought a place on a bass pond. It's his birthday tomorrow and I got him a spin rod and some hardware. He didn't think that he was up to fly fishing, so we won't go there.

Anyway, I need to spool some line onto the reel.
From what I've read, the line needs to go on to the reel the same direction as it comes off of the spool.
With the line spool on the floor, label up, it comes off clockwise and the reel winds clockwise...
Is that the right way to go?
That would mean when you cast, the line would come off the reel counter clockwise. That doesn't seem right to me.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:31 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: OT- Need spinning advice

I always have one of the boys hold the spool on a pencil with a little tension. It seems to work the best for me. When I put it on the floor it always seems to get twisted up. Regardless of how I do it, I usually run it out behind the boat when I am idling into a neck and I let the water take ALL of the twist out of it.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:33 AM

willowrun is on a distinguished road

By spinner set up do you mean spin cast or bait cast. For baitcast (which I never could cast anyway) it never really mattered to me. Now that I think about it, I didn't worry about it for spin cast either as I was chucking big enough spinners and plugs that it pulled the coils tight enough for me to not worry with it. On a lite weight set up not sure though. Somebody with more knowledge than me should chime in.

Justin

sent from one of those really cool mobile devices
Old 02-07-2014, 07:50 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Have someone hold it on a pencil. Even if you do it right on the floor, it will twist. With someone holding it on a stick or pencil, apply some tension to the line with your fingers before it goes onto the spool.

Letting the line out behind a moving boat or even stretching it out in the yard (provided you can keep the dog or kids from getting tangled in it) as was already mentioned will help get twist out of the line. Still, during the day fishing there will be some twist get in the line and it will have to be unspooled by about the amount you cast and reeled back in applying finger pressure by pinching the line when it is respooled.

Putting the lint on the reel against the line memory will cause lots of twist and cause the fishing experience to be mostly about untangling the line and not so much about catching fish.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:23 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

With a pencil thru the spool, and held in the horizontal position, run the mono off the top of the spool. The spool will be turning clockwise.
Taking the twist out is good, but be sure to add a swivel or a snapswivel near the terminal end so the spinner does not twist the line as it "works" in the water.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

So now that you remembered that you have a line winder, does this thread get deleted?? LMAO....
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
With a pencil thru the spool, and held in the horizontal position, run the mono off the top of the spool. The spool will be turning clockwise.
Taking the twist out is good, but be sure to add a swivel or a snapswivel near the terminal end so the spinner does not twist the line as it "works" in the water.
Yes, make sure you put a swivel at the end of the main line and connect it to the leader. It is almost a guarantee that a new fisherman will "curve the ball" when he cast it out.

Spooling a spinning reel is different than spooling a baitcasting reel. With the spinning reel thread a pencil thru the spool and have the top of the spool facing you according to how the coil is twisting. You can use a big phone book to sandwich the pencil and put it on a table. I then attached the reel on to the rod and run the line thru 1 stripping guide to the reel. By attaching the reel on to the rod you will have consistent spooling you can have your non winding hand to hold on the rod shaft while applying line tension between your index and the F U fingers on the line coming into the reel. Put the rod butt in between your thighs or in your arm pit (or anywhere that pleases you) and wind the line slowly.
You might need to apply extra tension for the first 1/4 of the line to ensure the base is pack and solid. I used this method to spool all my lines, including the fly line, the braided line, etc. Of course, different type of reels require different spool position. Bait caster the spool is in horizontal position counter clockwise spooling direction. Fly reel, vertical clock wise No tension.

Good luck, by the way. Drop shot rig will be a sure fish for a new bass fisherman.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.
I have a line winder. Getting the line on the reel is not the problem. No pencil required
I just needed to know if I should to go clockwise off the line spool.... (Label up, or label down)
Old 02-07-2014, 11:10 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Label Up or label facing you.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Or .... have the guys at the fishing counter put it on for you!! HA!

Enjoy his fishing! YOu can always fish next to him with your fly rod. Figuring it won't be too long in the process till he asks to try your fly rod out!