The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > The Lodge Den

The Lodge Den Sit down, kick back and discuss other topic with other forum members... Controversial subjects not allowed.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Super simple truck camping?

I have always been a tent camper, but as I get more addicted to efficiency I am searching for a new setup. I currently drive a Toyota tundra with a leer cap and I just love this rig. I want to be more flexible to "crash" at any given place and time. I have slept quite comfortably in the back of the truck on a small inflatable mattress, but it can get cramped with lots of gear (Im 6'5" and 225) I would like to spread out a little during the times I find myself staying in one place for any length of time. My first thought would be an EZ up canopy that I can erect just at the back of the truck, so the tailgate and hatch are under cover and theres room underneath to set up a chair and cooking station. and also be able to hang waders and wet gear under.
Are EZ up's hard to erect solo? Are there better options? I would love to have something along these lines that I could have set up in 15 minutes or less.
Do any of you do something like this and what does your set up consist of?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:10 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Super simple truck camping?

That EZ up would be awesome as long as it's wide enough and tall enough for the tailgate and topper to slide in to. I've had EZ up canopy before and yeah one guy can set it up easily, just get good stakes to help wind proof it.

Man you are making me jealous I'm 40 now but when I was 16 with a 1984 Toyota SR5 sitting on 35" tires I had a snug top on it. A twin mattress slid right in the wheel well. Being it was a different time mom and dad didn't necessarily care if you came home. They assumed I was sleeping at the lake if I went.

Ah man the good old days. Now I tote a 20' trailer, 3 dogs and a years worth of food for a weekend outing.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:48 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

Check out 'Flip-Pac'. I owned one and recommend it. Hardly affects gas mileage..

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2014, 01:00 AM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

A small pop-up could be right for you also. I leave mine on the truck all the time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2014, 02:22 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Have you ever slept in a hammock? Hammock camping is great. Live out of the truck. Sleep in the hammock. Good for your back too as you'll lay in a natural curve. I sleep like a baby in mine. Have a bug net and tarp when I need them.
mcnerney, jbird and craigthor like this.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

What about a small/cheap tent to store all your gear and make more room in the truck for you to sleep, etc., and a pop up canopy for some shade and extra space.
fyshstykr and jbird like this.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:16 AM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough

I'm glad you posted this Jbird, I have been planning trip destinations and tying flies but putting off addressing where/how I am going to crash. I don't want to pay out for a cabin everytime just to catch some ZZ's. I was thinking of tenting but like the idea of tossing a small mattress or pad in the back of my F350 (also with Lear cap). The hammock is an idea too, there used to be an Army surplus one with a rain fly and bug netting , I'll see if I can find it ...

oh , and the EZ canopy is a 1 man show no problem, we use them on the job sites all the time , just peg them down if there is wind.
Good idea.
mcnerney and jbird like this.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:17 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Back in the day, Dad put plywood across the bedrails, under the topper. Us kids rode back there on a feathertick for thousands of miles.

Sleep on top, storage underneath.

CAB
Old 02-15-2014, 05:44 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_durden View Post
Check out 'Flip-Pac'. I owned one and recommend it. Hardly affects gas mileage..

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
That thing looks really neat! Maybe some day... for the time being I don't want to mod my vehicle for something like this. And budget is certainly an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
A small pop-up could be right for you also. I leave mine on the truck all the time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk
Again, I would like to get some simple accessories to improve what I already have. and keep it affordable

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Have you ever slept in a hammock? Hammock camping is great. Live out of the truck. Sleep in the hammock. Good for your back too as you'll lay in a natural curve. I sleep like a baby in mine. Have a bug net and tarp when I need them.
I have to be honest, Hammocks are hard on my back. Being someone with chronic lower back pain from 3 bulging discs and other tweaks in my spine, I am much more comfortable on something hard and flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
What about a small/cheap tent to store all your gear and make more room in the truck for you to sleep, etc., and a pop up canopy for some shade and extra space.
This is exactly what Im thinking. I also have a fair amount of room inside the cab to keep things secure and dry that may eliminate the tent.

Just trying to create a better mouse trap I really like simple
Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

You need one of these:

AT FLIPPAC